Message Boards

to use the 8040B in the living room to listen to music on distance 3-4.4 m

iljo, modified 6 Months ago.

to use the 8040B in the living room to listen to music on distance 3-4.4 m

Youngling Posts: 6 Join Date: 11/3/19 Recent Posts

I want to use the 8040B in the living room to listen to music on distance 3-4.5 m. They are nerfing field monitors and by the Genelec specifications, I will get more reflect sound on this long distance from the speakers. I have an argument with a HI-FI enthusiast and hi was claiming that these speakers drivers are made less powerful to be used on short distance (1-1.5M)listening when you mixing music for example. Can someone from Genelec Tech support explain, please?

Question 2:

If I buy GLM 3 will help me to get the best result on the 3-4.5 m distance? Do I have to adjust them once or more regularly?

Thanks   

clearsignal, modified 6 Months ago.

RE: to use the 8040B in the living room to listen to music on distance 3-4.

Padawan Posts: 46 Join Date: 3/2/18 Recent Posts

Hello...

I'm not Genelec tech support, but what your hi-fi friend claims is rubbish. These monitors are very powerful for their size and can blow your eardrums should you sit too close. No sound impedance is built into them. However, 3-4 meters is too far from them, as the room influence takes precedence. To enjoy them tot he full, I wouldn't exceed 2 meter listening distance.

The GLM kit cannot be used with the 80x0. You can only use the switches at the back to correct their sound.