Message Boards

Thinking of upgrading to Genelec - advice needed

epicesquire, modified 3 Months ago.

Thinking of upgrading to Genelec - advice needed

Youngling Posts: 3 Join Date: 2/29/20 Recent Posts

Hi everyone - I am brand new to these forums and will soon be ordered the 8020D monitors.  I currently have KRK Rokit5's and, from what I have heard and read online, the Genelec 8020D's will be like hearing music for the first time compared to my current monitors.

I am attaching a rough diagram of my room.

I have ordered a pair of GIK Acoustic tri bass traps which I will put at at ear level in the front corners

I have ordered GIK Acoustic panels which I will put at first reflection and on the rear wall 

What I am wondering is whether I should splurge and get the 7040A subwoofer and, if I do, what settings would I use on the 8020D's dip switches to ensure I am getting the right balance between the 8020D's and the 7040A.

Thank you and I look forward to learning from this forum.

costakis, modified 2 Months ago.

RE: Thinking of upgrading to Genelec - advice needed

Padawan Posts: 33 Join Date: 2/13/19 Recent Posts

I have the 8020s with the 7050 in a room with smaller volume than yours. The result is fantastic although the SPL is not so high (I don't need it anyway).

For the right balance of the monitors with the sub you only need to follow the instructions from Genelec and a db meter for matching the output of the speakers. It's quite easy :) In your position, I wouldn't think of the 7040. I understand that it's a matter of cost but the 7050 is a much better choice for the volume of your room. In fact, a second 7050 would be again much better for you.   

You have to take care of the room, especially the small uneven area at the right. Another thing that you need to take care is to move the desk away from the front wall for better results with a subwoofer. See the reccomendations from Genelec to retain some distance between the monitors and the front wall. The subwoofer should be close to the wall.    

epicesquire, modified 2 Months ago.

Thanks for replying

If I move the desk away from the front wall, than my first reflection point is in the middle of the plantation shutters that cover the sliding doors

Before you buy or place any room treatment, read this carefully: https://www.genelec.com/monitor-placement See especially the: "Typical recommended distances from the wall behind monitors and subwoofer" scheme. In my humble opinion, if go for 2 7050s (or one if budget is tight).

epicesquire, modified 2 Months ago.

Thanks will check it out

So it looks like if I am going to have the monitors on my desk against the front wall, they need to be 5cm to 60cm from the wall - that is definitely easy enough to do

5 to 60 cm should be the distance if you have only the monitors. If you have the subwoofer you need to place it next to the wall (no more than 60 cm from it) and the monitors more than 1,1 meters to avoid the cancelation dips. See this section: Typical recommended distances from the wall behind monitors and subwoofer are shown in the picture below

If you buy or borrow a measurement microphone (like UMIC) and REW then you could measure what you hear in your room.