Message Boards

Floor Stand for 8330 (stability for potential earthquakes)

samposounds, modified 2 Months ago.

Floor Stand for 8330 (stability for potential earthquakes)

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 1/27/20 Recent Posts

Hello Genelec community!

I am looking to get floor stands for the 8330 monitors, and am in California so there is the potential for earthquakes. I have two questions:
1. Is the K&M stand (https://www.genelec.com/accessories/8000-400-genelec-design-stand) compatible with the 8330 (it only lists the 40s and 50s on that page)?

2. Would the 8000-409b stand (https://www.genelec.com/8000-409b-floor-stand) be ok in an earthquake given the monitors are sitting on the iso-pod adapter plate?

What would you recommend between these two floor stands for the 8330s, or other choices?

Thanks!

lukester, modified 2 Months ago.

RE: Floor Stand for 8330 (stability for potential earthquakes)

Jedi Knight Posts: 197 Join Date: 4/22/10 Recent Posts

I have those K&M stands, they're way too big for those speakers. and very heavy and a bit expensive.

look at the bottom of the speaker, you'll see a fitting to screw the speaker onto a standard mic stand.
​​​​​​​so any mic stand with a heavy base will do. There's lots of em and it will be cheap.

Coincidentally, soon i'll have a pair of those K&M stands to sell.
You can't have them for the speakers, but i'm willing to sell 'em to you if you want to reinforce a bunker.

samposounds, modified 2 Months ago.

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 1/27/20 Recent Posts

Thanks for the info! So the K&M isn't meant to fit the 8330? I'll probably go with the 8000-409b stand and screw directly then without the iso-pod adapter.

lukester, modified 1 Month ago.

Jedi Knight Posts: 197 Join Date: 4/22/10 Recent Posts

Yeah, should be totally enough.

The height you use the stands at will have a strog impact on behaviour in an earthquake.

also look at wall mounting options if you haven't already.