Message Boards

8020 + subwoofer selection and pros and coins

demo135, modified 2 Months ago.

8020 + subwoofer selection and pros and coins

Youngling Posts: 4 Join Date: 12/15/19 Recent Posts

Hi guys, I am considering to buy sub to my 8020s but I am quite sceptical. 
Will I benefit from using a subwoofer? A lot of people say to me that I will be lost when mixing bass frequencies with sub. 
Next question is, if anybody of you tried pairing Genelec speakers with sub of different brand. 
I am choosing between 7040apm and Adam T10S. 

costakis, modified 2 Months ago.

RE: 8020 + subwoofer selection and pros and coins

Padawan Posts: 33 Join Date: 2/13/19 Recent Posts

It's one way to buy a subwoofer :) I have the 8020s with 7050. You won't believe how the 8020s will sound after. It's better to avoid the matching with other brands. The selecrtion of the sub (or subs) has to do with the recommendations of the maker, the volume of your room and the SPL you want to achieve without distortion. The room is also THE significant factor for the result you get.  

My recommendation is clearly to buy a 7050 or 2 if your room is rather large.

demo135, modified 2 Months ago.

Youngling Posts: 4 Join Date: 12/15/19 Recent Posts

And can you tell me what is the difference between 7040 and 7050 in sound? Because I don't need that 5 channels, spl is a bit higher but what is the main factor to buy 7050 to 8020? 

costakis, modified 2 Months ago.

Padawan Posts: 33 Join Date: 2/13/19 Recent Posts

The 7040 has a 6,5 inches woofer while the 7050 has 8 inches woofer. In bass, the size does matter! SPL is not just a bit higher, it is 3dB which is significant. Check the net about this difference.

What are the dimensions of your room? If you check the specifications provided by Genelec, you will see the volume of the room suggested for each subwoofer. 

From my experience, Genelec subwoofers seem to be expensive before you buy them and a bargain after you install them :)