Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Multichannel living-room system, do I pick the right speakers?

stephang, modified 1 Year ago.

Multichannel living-room system, do I pick the right speakers?

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 12/7/20 Recent Posts

Hello all,

new here. I'm thinking about switching from my current system in my living room to a Genelec based one. "Classical" five channels only, no Atmos needed. I keep wondering a little about my choice of speakers that I consider. System is mainly used for TV series with a movie here and there and a little music. But usually >80% TV series. Here's my idea so far.

L/C/R: 8351B, Surrounds: 2x 8331, Subs: 2x 7360.

My listening distance front to listening position is about 3m to 3.5m. I'd like to put the surrounds in a bookshelf, so I can't fit the larger 8341. Distance for surrounds is 1.5m to 2m. I'd like to crossover the 8351 to the subs, maybe somewhere between 60Hz and 80Hz (not sure yet) to take some of the LF off the 8351. 7350 is probably too small? I can't physically fit the 7370, they're too large. I keep hearing horror stories about people driving The Ones to hard and loud into protection. So the question is really, will I be fine with the 8351B + 7360 for 3.5m distance? If that's not recommended / not enough, what's the next step? 8361 or S360? I'd really like to stay with something smaller like the 8351B if possible.

Many thanks in advance, 

Stephan

costakis, modified 1 Year ago.

RE: Multichannel living-room system, do I pick the right speakers?

Padawan Posts: 76 Join Date: 2/13/19 Recent Posts

Dear Stephan, you can take advice from the Monitor_Setup_Guide --> Listening distance and Sound Pressure Level. S360 is more comfortable for the distance you intend to place them. Two things worry me. First the placement of the surround speakers and the difference between them. The ideal is to have same speakers, placed in same distances (see also the guide). The second thing that worry me is the number & size of the subwoofers in your room. I suppose that the volume of the room is too large, one 7350 or one 7370 would be too little. I would go for at least 2 pieces of 7370 to have sufficient coverage in low frequencies, combined also with the high SPL of the satellite speakers. Please see the proposed matchings between monitors & subwoofers in the end of Monitor_Setup_Guide.

stephang, modified 1 Year ago.

RE: Multichannel living-room system, do I pick the right speakers?

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 12/7/20 Recent Posts

Many thanks for your reply. I did look at the Setup guide, for the sound level I read 106/94dB for the 8351 and 110/104dB for the S360. That might actually be ok for me, as I don't play at reference level in the living room (I have a dedicated home theatre room for reference level). To be safe, the S360 would probably be better, you are right. I might have to compare these to the 8361, as it's easier to place these horizontally unter the TV. The S360 would have to be vertical due to it's dispersion and that might be a space/placement  issue for me. Unfortunately I can't place the 7370 in the room, so I'm out of luck there. If two 7360 are not ok, I'd have to look somewhere else, maybe custom made DSP subs (Merovinger, Ascendo, etc.). 

Looks like I'll push these back a little more, as I've been too busy before Christmas. I have been in touch with two different dealers, so I'll see if I can get a home demo in my room before making a decision. I'm coming from Meridian DSPs I had in the theatre and moved to the living room, but they're too large there. So I'm still considering a downsize to their 5200SE or on-wall option DSP730. So it's a race between that or a Genelec option, preferably with The Ones for placement/size.