Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Used 8240 or new 8340 for center channel in a 5.1+ setup?

tedkron, modified 1 Year ago.

Used 8240 or new 8340 for center channel in a 5.1+ setup?

Youngling Posts: 4 Join Date: 10/28/15 Recent Posts

Hi,

I'm retrofitting my old studio stereo setup as an (uppgradable) home cinema system at home. My current Genelec equipment is 

- Two 8240s for LR channels

- One 7260 Sub for LFE

- Two 8330 for rear LR channels. 

- AD9200a to convert the signal between my analogue out AV preamp and the all-digital 7260 input. 

- GLM3 calibration kit

and so, for the center channel, I have the option of buying either a third 8240 in used condition for €760, matching my LR channels, or a brand new 8340 which comes at €1200. I know the 8340 has a more powerful class D amp and more filters in its DSP, but would that matter much in my setup, for a center channel? Which one would you go for?

My center channel budget could stretch to €1200, but less would obviously help in financing other things and future upgrades in the setup. Any hands on experience with comparing the two  would be highly appreciated here. 

I do use the LR 8240s for music listening too and I think they sound wonderful after calibration. I have noticed that when exchanging them with the smaller but newer 8330s, the calibration will not use all their 16+4 filters, but something like 4-6 + 4 filters, so perhaps the superior DSP of the 8340 would be overkill for my listening room?

For reference, the listening room is 3,5 m wide, 7 m long, and has a 2,1 meter ceiling height, i.e., a long throw orientation. There is a pair of glass doors to the patio behind the center channel to be and the ceiling mounted projector screen, and the listening position is 3,5 m from the center channel. The room is otherwise normally furnished with seating furniture, window curtains, carpets, etc., but with no purposed acoustical treatment of the listening space.

Thank you in advance for your advice! 

lukester, modified 1 Year ago.

RE: Used 8240 or new 8340 for center channel in a 5.1+ setup?

Jedi Master Posts: 296 Join Date: 4/22/10 Recent Posts

Yeah I'd take the used 8240 because it's less hassle.

And yes, nobody needs a billion filters in theirs speakers, your's are fine.

3x 8341 L/C/R would be a nice upgrade,

If you're sitting <2m from the speakers, he coax "the ones" speakers are very much amazing.

tedkron, modified 1 Year ago.

Youngling Posts: 4 Join Date: 10/28/15 Recent Posts

Thanks for the reply - I went ahead and ordered the used 8240. 

Next upgrade would be a second sub, after that perhaps two ceiling mounted speakers for that immersive experience. 7.1 seems to be superfluous for my small listening room. 

Also, multi-channel signal cable management the digital domain is so much neater than analogue. Two channels per cable and thinner cables at that. Too bad that just about every AV preamp/processor (except for the Trinnov Alt. 32 at €20k) will DA convert  after decoding and output analogue. Although many preamps have balanced analogue outputs, so I guess it's a start. Or have any of you Genelec cineasts opted out of the digital domain and only run analogue signal cabling for your SAMs?

lukester, modified 1 Year ago.

Jedi Master Posts: 296 Join Date: 4/22/10 Recent Posts

Couldn't tell ya about preamps, I'm from the studio side.

HTPC + GLM works well for me, can do digital surround.
TBH. I don't even have surround in my cinema, 1037s in stereo.
Everything I watch is 60ies and before, probably could do with a B/W projector.