Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

8020A dead on his 10th birthsday

bluehawk, modified 4 Years ago.

8020A dead on his 10th birthsday

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 3/22/17 Recent Posts
Hello
I am new to this forum - but hope very much to get some qualified response.

I bought a couple af 8020A speakers precisely 10 years ago for my small studio where I am producing slideshows and videos among other things. One of the original speakers died in a young age and was replaced by a 8020B. But the remaining 8020A has been functioning flawlessly until he reached his 10th. birthday today - but suddenly the speaker is stone dead without any kind of warning. No light in the front diode, not a sound at all.

I have checked the main fuse - it is ok.

So my question is: Has Genelec build an "end of life when the unit is 10 years old"-funktion into the 8020A ?

Or what else to look for or do to bring my companion to life again ?

Greetings
mazhar, modified 4 Years ago.

Re: 8020A dead on his 10th birthsday

Youngling Posts: 20 Join Date: 2/11/14 Recent Posts
Haha, no such thing as a 10-year-old life function in the Genelecs. If you're saying that the main fuse is okay and you're not seeing the green LED light on its front, then its likely to be a transformer issue, which can be corrected at your nearest service centre.
bluehawk, modified 4 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 3/22/17 Recent Posts
Dear Mazhar

Unfortunately the toroidal transformer seems to be ok. 230 volt in, 18 and 36 volt out. No noise, no burnt marks to be seen, no nothing, so I suppose, the transformer is ok.

Do you have other ideas to correct the problem ?
Or must I call the undertaker ?
mazhar, modified 4 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 20 Join Date: 2/11/14 Recent Posts
Well, few things.

1) Have you tried playing audio through it despite the green LED not lighting up? Maybe it's just a LED issue. Maybe it's just playing peek-a-boo with you

2) It can also be something as simple as a loose contact at some point in the signal chain of the speaker. You can check if all the cables are seated properly in all the slots.

PS: I still suspect the transformer though :P Probably a better idea, getting it checked at a service centre
markus-kahelin, modified 4 Years ago.

Jedi Knight Posts: 109 Join Date: 3/16/10 Recent Posts
Hello Bluehawk!

I think you should contact your local Genelec distributor for service, I am sure that your speaker is soon as good as new! You can find the contacts here:
http://www.genelec.com/where-buy