Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Genelec 8330 or 8340?

torpet, modified 5 Years ago.

Genelec 8330 or 8340?

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 3/21/17 Recent Posts
Im about to get myself a pair of Genelecs.

Currently in between A8330 or A8340 with GLM, but with no sub whatsoever, due to neighbours and strict rules.

So here is the clue: Got a small apartment, meaning that the monitors will be placed in a corner, placed on a relativly small desk (most likely 120x60), in front of a concrete wall. OK, so I will be sitting fairly close to the monitors, will not be able to treat the room beyond GLM (my girlfriend will murder me if even mention putting stuff on the walls) due that the setup is in the living room. Neighbours on all sides (up, down, right, left - me in the middle), so I will not be able to have really loud music going on constantly.

For what? EDM production, so I will probably need som lows. Going to start on producing again after a three year break. Is 8340 overkill or will 8340 be the better choice? Can afford both, although saving (alot) of money is always good.

Thanks guys.
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: Genelec 8330 or 8340?

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
There is no such thing as overkill because GLM/AutoCal can compensate the low frequency boost and you can always choose the playback level. If you will play EDM, I think you will appreciate the low frequency extension and SPL of the larger 8340A model even if you could not crank it up to the maximum.
aroom, modified 5 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 3/31/17 Recent Posts
Hi Ilkka
Hi Torpet

I have the similar question, have to choose between 8330 and 8340 for a small environment, without sub.

Ilkka, you said that the 8340 would be a good choice, regarding the ability or the GLM to calibrate them for a small environment. but if I refer to this chart (http://www.genelec.com/sites/default/fi ... rmance.pdf), the minimum distance for both model aren't the same.

I mean you'll need at least 1 meter to be in the "green" zone with the 8340 and 50 cm with the 8330, right ?

thanks
markus-kahelin, modified 5 Years ago.

Jedi Knight Posts: 109 Join Date: 3/16/10 Recent Posts
Hi!

Minimum listening distance for 8340A is about 0,5m so no worries with that even in a small room.