Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

7370A Subwoofer placed in wall cabinet

nachjos, modified 5 Years ago.

7370A Subwoofer placed in wall cabinet

Padawan Posts: 41 Join Date: 10/21/16 Recent Posts
I would like to add a 7370A subwoofer to my 8351A speakers in 2.1 configuration for Hifi listening only (no plans for surround in the future).

But I have to place the 7370A in a wall cabinet with just a few cm around, only the backspace will be around 5 - 10cm.
Front will be free space. The distance to listening position is about 4m.

I own a GLM set for Auto-Calc the sub and the 8351A.

Will this work or is the sub not worth the money for this room situation?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: 7370A Subwoofer placed in wall cabinet

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

At least two issues that I can think from the top of my head.

1) You need to leave at least 10 cm / 4 in breathing room for the port (left side of the cabinet when looking from the front).

2) I am really afraid of severe resonances/vibrations if the subwoofer is placed inside a cabinet. Typically these sort of cabinets are not very sturdy or structurally inert.

Hi Ilkka

I didn't see any port on the pictures, so I thaught it's a sealed construction. 10 cm is too much, because then I have construct the cabinet at least with 60 cm depth - that's too much for my planned cabinet.

The cabinet is build individual, so I can choose the dimensions and the strength of the walls. I can build it very sturdy. The subwoofer will only be surrounded by the walls (distance about 3 - 5 cm to each wall) and will be placed directly on the floor. So there is no direct contact from subwoofer to the cabinet. Does this help?

Another option: Will 7360A probably enough? The sub should have a much better efficiency and more SPL in this assembly situation. I am right or not?
1038, modified 5 Years ago.

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
Based on your description, i think you are very close to a solution, first of all can you drill large holes in the sides of the carcasses either side of the sub, and what clearance will you have from the top of the sub to the underside of the top?

The more you can help the cabinet breathe, the better. Will there be an opportunity to cut holes in the top of the cabinet, maybe behind a TV or projection screen?

Cutting holes into the sidewalls should be possible, on top will be difficult because of visual reasons.

But I am still worried because Illka mentions (in other thread) that 7360A will be not sufficient for 8351...and 7370A is too big for me...
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts

Another option: Will 7360A probably enough? The sub should have a much better efficiency and more SPL in this assembly situation. I am right or not?

Our subwoofer recommendation for a 2.1 system having 8351A monitors is 7370A. For 5.1 system we recommend 2x 7370A or 1x 7271A.