Message Boards

Studio Hum issues

tommyallen, modified 4 Years ago.

Studio Hum issues

Youngling Posts: 4 Join Date: 6/21/16 Recent Posts
Hi

I have a professional mixing studio with a pair of 1030As, which i've had a while and they are great. NowI recently I added a 7040A Sub, which I was informed that it will match my 1030As - But since I've added this Sub into my set up - There is Humm issues -

I have a Mac One Passive monitoring controller - out of this to 3 different sets of speakers of which on group A goes out to my 1040 As (all fine, no hum) -- Now add the Sub so out of group A into sub then out of the sub into the 1030As - I get Hum only when switched to stereo on the Monitoring controller -- Mono is hum free. also with the sub IN when I switch groups I get Hum on all Groups on both Mono and Stereo.

Take the Sub away so just goes to the 1030As - everything is great no hum in stereo and switching through all the groups - no hum

with the Sub

I've checked to see if it's an earth problem, which it isn't.
I have used all new shield cables.

so i'm at a loss as to what it can be or how to fix this.

Can anyone help

Thank you
ilkka-rissanen, modified 4 Years ago.

Re: Studio Hum issues

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

Thanks for your question. Have you tried the system without the Mac One Passive monitor controller? It would be beneficial to test it to exclude all external devices.

Hi please find a clip of the hum

Hi Ika

I have tried to up load an attachment - But I can't see it so un sure if you can??? anyhow
I tried what you said and got a totally different louder noise ??? a clicking with hum??
with out undoing loads of wires i used two mono cables out of my saffire to do this so i thought this may be the cause of this new noise. so I plugged the good cables from the 1030As straight into the saffire output - same issue louder clicking hum?
but now - when I put these leads BACK into the McOne Controller and connect the McOne back to the Safire no noise/no hum (No sub added yet just 1030As)
so I add the sub in to the group A out from the McOne - Back to just hum in the stereo option and hum in group B and C in either mono or stereo. I hear a very low clicking (no way near as loud as before) so I disconnected my TP Link 1200Mbps from the socket (my internet using the power line) and the low clicking stopped. Now i haven't try this with the loud clicking yet (so by passing the McOne).

by taking out the TP Link - this didn't get rid of my original hum problem.
ilkka-rissanen, modified 4 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

It would be useful to disconnect ALL external devices and just connect the subwoofer directly to the audio source without any devices in between or connected to the system. Then connect the monitors directly to the subwoofer without any other devices. This is the only way to know if the problem comes from the subwoofer or the other external devices. Please make sure the subwoofer and the monitors are connected to the same mains outlet with 3 prong (grounded) mains cable.