Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

reduce max SPL: uncolored 10 or 15 dB pad for the 8040a ?

ilikesound, modified 5 Years ago.

reduce max SPL: uncolored 10 or 15 dB pad for the 8040a ?

Youngling Posts: 9 Join Date: 2/24/11 Recent Posts
Hello,

I due to a lot of problems with stereo imaging with analogue potentiometers (channel mismatch) I want to adjust my sound level digitally with my RME interface and a MIDI knob in the future. As far as I know the loss of bit resolution due to the digital adjustment on a 24bit DAC is more or less equivalent to a analogue volume control, because even when the quantisation noise is higher from the digital attenuation, our hears can't hear it anyway due to the lower SPL. In other words, to my best knowledge, the bad reputation from digital attenuation for monitoring seems to be a myth. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

But since computers can crash, I want a safe SPL limit for worst case scenarios like a crash signal with 0dBfs@100dB SPL and me sitting about 1m before it. You get the point. :-)

So I would like to have a 10 or 15dB lower maximum SPL for my 8040a. I'm thinking about some XLR pads that I use between my RME outs and the 8040 ins. The sensitivity adjustment range on the 8040a is too low to archive this.

It's very important for me that this attenuation is as uncoloured as possible. Any ideas? Or is this the wrong way?

Thanks and best regards.
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: reduce max SPL: uncolored 10 or 15 dB pad for the 8040a

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
I support the idea of using an attenuation pad. Those things are purely passive resistor networks which will not colour the sound in any way if done properly.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-en ... pters.html
ilikesound, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: reduce max SPL: uncolored 10 or 15 dB pad for the 8040a

Youngling Posts: 9 Join Date: 2/24/11 Recent Posts
Thanks for your opinion and also for the link. Great suport.

Is there any spec were I have to be carefull like some specific Ohm value (most adapters seems to have 200-600 Ohm). Or is a standard XLR line level attendunator just fine?