Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

SAM : switching between digital and analog input

uyen, modified 5 Years ago.

SAM : switching between digital and analog input

Youngling Posts: 15 Join Date: 1/13/17 Recent Posts
Hello,

I purchased recently the 8330 SAM loudspeakers.

To switch between a digital use and an analog use, do I need to use the GLM software to change the setup (Group) ?

In other words, could I use the SAM loudspeakers in a digital session, switch off all the system and switch on later the system to get directly an analog use of the loudspeakers (listening session) without the need to use a PC and the GLM setup software ?

Many thanks.
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: SAM : switching between digital and analog input

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

The monitors will automatically detect which signal is being inputted as long as you don't have the GLM running in the background which will force the input to stay fixed according to group configuration.

Note: the digital signal stream must end completely in order for the monitors to switch to listening the analogue inputs. Also remember to store the digital setup into the monitors before shutting down the GLM software.
janne-koo, modified 3 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 73 Join Date: 10/26/15 Recent Posts

Good functionality, well explained. I think the user manual could be clearer on this.

It would be quite convenient though, if there was just a simple input mode switch/button on the GLM software screen, so that it could be used to force the input to either analog or digital, regardless of incoming signals. Should be easy to implement, as all the functionality already exists.

More of an extra feature would be the ability to match levels between inputs regardless of the volume controller position, ie. automatically dim either (the stronger) input with a fixed amount when switched. Within 1,5 dB would be good, but I know you're all about perfection... :)

PS.

I use a pair of 8330's too and soon found myself frequently utilizing both inputs: There's an analogue line mixer for "the usual stuff" (Samson SM-10) and an external USB DAC (nuForce uDAC 3) to eke out S/PDIF out of a silent laptop for optimal quality. Seems to work well without an impedance converter and with all the wrong cables, but politically correct interconnect stuff is on the way anyway.

Hi,

Thanks for the answer.

Sorry but I am not sure to understand well your last sentence.

It seems that my monitors did not automatically switch to listening the analogue inputs if during the last use of the monitors, I did not store the analog setup into the monitors before switching off the whole system.

Do you mean that I have to store the digital setup to get at the next switch on of the whole system an automatic detection of the inputs (analogue) ?

You can only store one setup into speakers, and that should be the digital setup. Then you should quit GLM software and power cycle both speaker. After that the speakers will switch to analogue input as soon as the digital signal is stopped (can't input even digital silence, zeroes).

Thanks.

Ok, now it is clear for me.

PS: the GLM is very efficient. Comparing with and without the correction, it is easy to understand that, without correction, we listen more the room excited by the loudspeaker than the loudspeaker in the room. I am very pleased with the correction and did not expecting so much... :)

Thank you for the compliments. It is very surprising for many people how much the room affects the sound, even most "acoustically treated" rooms. :) By the way, what kind of source device you have?

I use them for listening purpose or for mixing some personnal recordings (I'm not professionnal sound engineer). I use a PC or Macbook (Cubase 8, Jriver for listening) and output the AES/EBU signal with a Yellowtec Puc Lite (Sommer 225 CarboKab /110 ohms) , or an analog signal from a RME Babyface Pro and audio video preamplifier (unbalanced).

So I use the 8830 monitors to mix, to listen music and later in a home-cinema system (with a 7350 sub in a near futur).

One more question about the volume.
Is it possible to get 0 dbFS volume for the analog inputs without using the GLM volume controller when we switch on the whole system (family use of the system) ?

Does it mean that I have to store the digital settings at full level to SAM monitors (that should be problematic) ?

Many thanks,

There is only one volume setting and it is used for both inputs. So if you want maximum gain for inputs, you need to store setup at full volume setting.

Typically a full volume is not needed because source devices have sufficient output levels. Volume setting of -10...-20 dB should be high enough to reach full output.

Ok. Great support.

However an unbalanced consumer line level from an audio video preamplifier ideally requires nearly a full level.

I think it would be better to use the GLM volume controller when I use the analog inputs of the SAM monitors.

I have to inform the family that the use of the controlled could be required.

Thanks