Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Settings and caibration for the 8351a

zenstar, modified 5 Years ago.

Settings and caibration for the 8351a

Padawan Posts: 25 Join Date: 12/13/16 Recent Posts
Hello

I am retrieving info about how to setup my upcoming Genelec 8351a

So it is recommended to leave the settings in the back all by default (off) because the GLM 2/0 system will take care of everything?? or you recommend first to have a good setting in the speaker and then appy GLM?

The room is 11x 20 FT high ceilings

the 8351a will be in heavy stands

it is recommended or is a good idea to find the best placement of the speakers using the GLM software and watching the curve?

Or in a way is ni so relevant that because GLM will correct the response of the speakers in the room??

any additional info, advise is welcome

thanks
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: Settings and caibration for the 8351a

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

GLM will take care of all the settings, you don't need and actually can't use the back panel settings at the same time. You do need to set to one dip ON if you want to store the settings into the built-in memory.

When it comes to setting up your system, please check out our monitor setup guide first: http://www.genelec.com/technical-library Even though GLM will correct many acoustical problems, it can't for example help if there is a strong back wall cancellation dip due to destructive reflection. That you should avoid by placing the monitors correctly and typically also having some acoustical treatment done to the room.
alastair, modified 5 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 8 Join Date: 11/4/16 Recent Posts
Follow up question ... I had a set of 8351As on loan for a while. The GLM Volume control worked great using the rotary volume controller when the GLM adaptor was plugged into my laptop. But when I had unplugged my laptop, I could not control the volume. I was led to believe from previous postings that with GLM 2.0 volume control was still possible without using a PC/laptop.

Can someone confirm this is the case, and perhaps suggest what I might have needed to do to get this to work? I would not be able to buy these monitors unless volume controlled worked without a PC connected.

Thank you for the answer!
1038, modified 5 Years ago.

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
Alistair, you can use the system without GLM running but there are 2 steps you need to do, firstly make sure that the stored settings switch is ON and secondly the network adapter needs to be powered, so when you remove the USB cable from your computer, you need to then connect it to something like a USB phone charger.
thesky555, modified 5 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 48 Join Date: 1/26/15 Recent Posts
Hey Ilkka,

I have now added two 7360 subs to my two 8351As. (And I LOOOVE them! Huge difference. I’ll write more about it when I’ve spent more time with them.)

I haven’t changed the dip switches of the subs from the default position they were in when I received them. I did make some adjustments on the dip switches of my 8351A monitors when I got them.

Should I worry about that? Does the entire system need to have the dip switches set up in the same way? I’m thinking e.g. of when it comes to the ‘Allow to store’ switch?

My use: I always have my GLM unit connected to the system, but once in a while I forget to launch the GLM software on my computer before pressing ‘Play’ on my music software. I don’t want to risk a full-power dB attack from my system if I happen to start playing before starting the GLM software. Also, I don’t want to risk my monitors being somehow subdued or amplified compared to the subs.

All best,

Hey Ilkka,

I have now added two 7360 subs to my two 8351As. (And I LOOOVE them! Huge difference. I’ll write more about it when I’ve spent more time with them.)

wow, you must have a small club feel in your room! :mrgreen:

Plus I heard 2 subs would make a room even better sounding.

Alistair, you can use the system without GLM running but there are 2 steps you need to do, firstly make sure that the stored settings switch is ON and secondly the network adapter needs to be powered, so when you remove the USB cable from your computer, you need to then connect it to something like a USB phone charger.

Thanks for the quick reply Steve. I know for sure the stored settings DIP switch was not set. And possibly the GLM adaptor wasn't powered either. Thanks for confirming.

Regarding the stored settings switch, once that is engaged, does that prevent the user from using the GLM software to switch between groups or different profiles within groups?

Please do tell us. Two subs sounds like you should have a club-like sound system, especially if you run those subs a little hot.

Hey Ilkka,

Thanks for the quick reply Steve. I know for sure the stored settings DIP switch was not set. And possibly the GLM adaptor wasn't powered either. Thanks for confirming.

Regarding the stored settings switch, once that is engaged, does that prevent the user from using the GLM software to switch between groups or different profiles within groups?

Hi Alastair, the position of the stored switch has no impact on normal operation of GLM, as soon as you connect the network with GLM it has immediate control over the system. To get back to the stored settings, you simply have to cycle the power.

Correlation between Flatter response of the 8351a in the roo

It is recommended to use GLM 2.0 to see in which position/distance the speakers get a flatter response in the room so then that would be the best choice to use Auto Cal?

exist a correlation in the final sound/performance of the 8351a in the room using GLM auto cal and how the position of the speakers/listening position brings a flatter curve (seen at the GLM freq response reading)?

or not necessary?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Yes, it is very much recommended to test few placement options, if possible, and see what gives you best result. In general it is better if the uncorrected response does not have large dips/nulls because those cannot be corrected by electrical means.

Hi Alastair, the position of the stored switch has no impact on normal operation of GLM, as soon as you connect the network with GLM it has immediate control over the system. To get back to the stored settings, you simply have to cycle the power.

Hi again.

so can I store the setting of GLM in 8351a?
So I just have to put the switch in STORED position right?

So then I do not have to have the GML software and box connected to the computer to have the GLM autocal setting working with the speakers?

How do I do to store that preset in to the 8351 monitors?

if I want individual calibration for each speaker this box have to be un-checked?
what is the best setting for Mixing in a stereo Configuration

Thanks!

Hi again.

so can I store the setting of GLM in 8351a?
So I just have to put the switch in STORED position right?

That's 1/2 of the process, so make sure the dip switch on each speaker is set to STORED

So then I do not have to have the GML software and box connected to the computer to have the GLM autocal setting working with the speakers?

Yes

How do I do to store that preset in to the 8351 monitors?

In the tool bar click on "Group" at the bottom of the drop down menu you will see 3 options Store at current, store at full and store factory settings, i always recommend using store at Full

if I want individual calibration for each speaker this box have to be un-checked?
what is the best setting for Mixing in a stereo Configuration

Yes, i always uncheck that box

Thanks![/quote]

thanks!