Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

8260 now accepts Bitstream:What is better LPCM or Bitstream?

ensoniq, modified 5 Years ago.

8260 now accepts Bitstream:What is better LPCM or Bitstream?

Padawan Posts: 47 Join Date: 5/30/15 Recent Posts
Hello,

I noticed -after a Firmware update - that the 8260 now accepts Bitstream from the coaxial digital Output of my Oppo BDP 105 player.

Not sure what might be better from an audiophile point of view for Stereo Flac Files from an USB drive - Bitstream or 192khz LPCM ?

I thought that it is possibly better to let the Gens do all the interpretation of the bitstream but to my ears, LPCM 192 kHz as digital source for the Gens sounding better, "crisper" .

Maybe someone from Genelec can put some additional notes regarding Audiophile quality and best way to feed the 8260 digital , so LPCM v Bitstream (?)

thanks
ensoniq, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: 8260 now accepts Bitstream:What is better LPCM or Bitstr

Padawan Posts: 47 Join Date: 5/30/15 Recent Posts
no ? hey Ilkka , I remember you once told me that bitstream is not supportet. but it is :mrgreen:
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: 8260 now accepts Bitstream:What is better LPCM or Bitstr

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hello,

There hasn't been any firmware changes when it comes to input signal acceptance. 8260A still accepts only AES3 type digital signal. S/PDIF type signal may also be used with certain caution: http://www.rane.com/note149.html

What exactly do you mean by "bitstream" and how do you know you are actually outputting "bitstream" signal? 8260A does not decode any Dolby Digital/DTS or similar type of signals.