Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

8030 + 7050 vs 8040 + 7060

synthury, modified 5 Years ago.

8030 + 7050 vs 8040 + 7060

Youngling Posts: 7 Join Date: 11/27/16 Recent Posts
Hello,

I am totally new to this forum. I am currently rebuilding entirely my home studio. The room is of about 16qm and will be completely acoustically treated.

I have been working this past 16 years (!) on passives Tannoy Reveal (6" woofers) powered by a 2x75w 8Ohm amp.
Was quite ok until then - never really though about upgrading my system.

I am working mainly on electronic music (playing/programming synths and playing roland e-drum as well).

I have often measured the SPL of my system when working to have the better possible view of my needs. I never have exceed the 93-94dB limit (playing very loud for me, and mainly not for a long time).

I know that this question has been asked often, but as I am still not sure the way to go. I hope I will have some decisive answers here.

I am currently hesitating between these 2 options :

1) 8030 + 7050
+ : small size main speakers, switch + volume on the front - price of the combo !
- : I have the feeling that this combo should be sufficient for my needs, but...

2) 8040 + 7060
+ : many positive reviews, size remain small despite the woofer size.
- : power - overkill ?, price of course...

Looking at my room size which combo would work the best ?

Thank you for your support and help.

Kind regards from Switzerland,

S.

Re: 8030 + 7050 vs 8040 + 7060

Thanks for the reply.

That would confirm that 8030s could be sufficient. Have you ever tested the 7050 sub instead of the 7060 ?

Any more comments more than welcome.

Cheers,

S

Thank your for your feedback. Really appreciate it.

Looking at the room performance guide (thanks for the link), and taking into account that I will be mostly working at a distance between 70cm and 1.5 meter I think the right combo could really be 8030+7060 in the end what would offer some juice in the low-end and flexibility in the future (multi-channel).

Just to avoid missing something here, would I go for the combo 8040+7060, the 8040 will be anyway cut off at 85Hz, right ?

So would it be justified to get the 8040s that will be anyway work only until 85Hz (all the same than a pair of 8030s)(apart from a SPL point of view) ?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

If you are using a subwoofer, the monitors will be cut off at 85 Hz but that doesn't mean that bigger monitors would not have any advantage. Most of the spectrum range is above the 85 Hz so there is a lot to benefit from having larger monitors. :)

Thanks for the feedback Illka !

Last question : I will be working at a distance between 65 and 1.5 meters from the speakers. Most of the time probably around 85cm (studio desk).

Looking at the performance guide, the 8040 seems to be not the best because of the short distance.
Do you confirm that 8030 would be more appropriate in my case ?

Thanks again !

S.

Recommended minimum listening distance for 8x40 products is 0.7 meters so they will work just fine. :)

Thank your for your feedback. Really appreciate it.

Last question before I pull the trigger...

I have a very good offer on a pair of 8030, which make the package 8030+7050 quite the same price as the 8040 alone.

Looking at my room (16qm, treated (basstraps, absorbers+diffusers) which route would you advice me to go ?

On one side I am tempted by the sub + smaller monitors, but I know sub config and placement could be trickier as a simple pair of very good monitors...

Thanks for your help.

S.

Hi there,

First of all, there is no wrong choice here, just different flavours. As you wrote, smaller mains + subwoofer will be trickier to set up correctly and sometimes people are staying away from subs for just that reason. But if you have sufficiently treated room, can place the subwoofer in a good spot and know how to set up the system, it will provide you better LF extension than the 8040 based system. Maximum SPL wise it won't go quite as loud, but I guess you won't monitor at that high level.