Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Using new Genelec sub with older Genelec speakers?

kristp, modified 5 Years ago.

Using new Genelec sub with older Genelec speakers?

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 10/13/12 Recent Posts
My current stereo mixing setup is the following:

-Two Genelec 6020A speakers
-One Genelec 5040A subwoofer

However, in my current working room (quite large room in a wooden house) the 5040A does not deliver enough volume. I have to run the 6020A volume at 1/5th so they dont overpower the sub.

When I try to look for alternatives on the Genelec website they only mention the 5050A sub as compatible with these speakers.

Would the 6020A speakers (which I love) also work well with the newer Genelec subs such as 7040A, 7050A or 7050B? I would really appreciate the ability to use a balanced XLR cable and do not necesssarily need 5.1.

Also, one additional question.

On the data specs the 5040A offers max volume of 98db, and the newer much larger Genelec subwoofers the max volume output is 100db. Does this mean that in real world use the max volumes are pretty much the same? I would imagine that the much larger and more power hungry newer devices would be able to produce much more sound.

Thank you for your time!

Kristian
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: Using new Genelec sub with older Genelec speakers?

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

6020A was a modified version of 8020A and was matched with the 5050A subwoofer. It can be used with certain other subwoofers too which have bass management (6020A does not have crossover filter). Models from our current subwoofer line up with bass management are F Two, 7040A, 7360A and 7370A.

7040A is only slightly louder than 5040A, so if you require more SPL, I would look at the bigger models. They will offer you more than 100 dB SPL.