Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

8240A's sound 'different'..?

ggoodenough, modified 5 Years ago.

8240A's sound 'different'..?

Youngling Posts: 7 Join Date: 11/9/16 Recent Posts
I recently was able to use the 8040a's in my home setup, which is in no way, a professional studio, treatment wise, but they sounded great. The fidelity and separation was truly great coming from much lower end monitors. SOO, I decided the 8240's could only be better with the auto CAL feature, so i picked them up. They did not come with the auto cal GLM microphone, so I'm not able to calibrate them to my room, but the option is there, and I picked them up for a great price. SO essentially, they are 8040A's, which i was totally fine with!

Well these sound different?? They do not pose the same fidelity as my review pair, and I purchased these from a distributor as well. Is there any difference between the 2 monitors that i don't know about? I have the autocal feature switched off, on the back of the monitor, in case they have any presets, and manually adjusted settings, and they sound better, but still, the same level of fidelity is not there. From either monitor.

Although my autocal switch is turned "off", do i need to adjust any of the other dials in column 2 on the back of the monitors?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: 8240A's sound 'different'..?

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

As long as you have the first dip on 2nd row set to off / "stand-alone", they will operate identical to the 8040's. You should adjust the bass tilt, roll-off and other room eq settings identical to what you had with 8040's. There should not be any difference.
ggoodenough, modified 5 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 7 Join Date: 11/9/16 Recent Posts
Hi,

As long as you have the first dip on 2nd row set to off / "stand-alone", they will operate identical to the 8040's. You should adjust the bass tilt, roll-off and other room eq settings identical to what you had with 8040's. There should not be any difference.

That's what I thought, I feel like I'm lacking the fidelity in the high end like i had previously.
Question 2: would the GLM 2.0 kit make a significant difference for my untreated room? I am not a sound engineer, just a hobbyist, who is new to the trade, and who's only experience is a few classes in college
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

The GLM AutoCalibration will have the biggest effect/benefit in untreated rooms. The more controlled your room acoustics are, the less benefit there will be. You certainly don't need to be a sound engineer to be able to hear the difference. :)