Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

8010A - loud pop from studio gear

zork, modified 5 Years ago.

8010A - loud pop from studio gear

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 11/4/16 Recent Posts
OK, so I bought brand new 8010A studio monitors but unfortunately two, three times I forgot to power them on as last in the signal chain. I got Tascam DP008EX digital recorder/mixer RCA out's going to 8010A (ISS disable is on) and when I powered it on I heard this annoying pop sound. This wasn't at full volume of Tascam (master volume was at 1/4) though so it wasn't VERY loud, but still annoying. I know those types of DC spikes could be dangerous for monitors.

Is there _any_ chance I could have damaged the monitors?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: 8010A - loud pop from studio gear

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

I am tempted to say no, but I believe you should answer yourself first: are they working normally? :)
zork, modified 5 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 11/4/16 Recent Posts
Yes, I believe so. I don't know how damaged monitor should sound like though... Lower reproduction of high's or mid's maybe? I also read something that Genelec introduced some kind of "sophisticated overload circuitry protection". Can it protect from such DC spikes as in the scenario above?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Most probable defect would be a blown fuse which in case the monitor would not even turn on/make any sound. DC spikes are not allowed to enter the drivers so they are always well protected. I am sure there is nothing to be worried about. Our products are made for professional studio use where all kinds of strange signals can enter the monitor and they need to tolerate them all.