Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

New owner 8010a hum question

cornwalljon, modified 5 Years ago.

New owner 8010a hum question

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 10/20/16 Recent Posts
Hi all,
Just bought first pair of 8010a's. I have connected them to a Roland RD64 digital piano using a pair of 2-meter balanced XLR to 1/4" jack cables. The monitors are placed on a shelf directly above the piano. The cables run along the back of the piano alongside the piano's power cable. Straight out of the box, when connected to the piano and switched on, the monitors produced a fairly light hissing and also an audible low hum - almost like a very low note. This was distractingly loud, albeit in a very quiet room. The low hum/note ceased when the XLR cables were disconnected from the monitors, but monitors remained powered on. I experimented with switching to the 'on' position all of ISS disable, sensitivity -10db, bass tilt and desktop controls. This has greatly reduced the low hum, although the hiss (acceptable) is still there when listening very close up. I tested out the cables on a very old pair of KRK Rokit 5 monitors and no sign of a low hum.

So I guess my question is - is it likely that one of the controls (possibly the sensitivity -10db) is likely to cause a hum unless in the 'on' position?

Thank you,

Jon
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: New owner 8010a hum question

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi Jon,

Thanks for your question. High frequency hiss at close distance is perfectly normal but low frequency hum could be produced by the piano itself. Setting the speaker's sensitivity to -10 dB will reduce the problem to acceptable level. KRK has about 10 dB lower input sensitivity compared to our 8010 (default setting).