Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Frequency Response vs Accuracy of Frequency Response

sambirch19, modified 5 Years ago.

Frequency Response vs Accuracy of Frequency Response

Youngling Posts: 4 Join Date: 10/18/16 Recent Posts
Hi,

On the technical specs of most of the speakers there are two very similar specs, frequency response (55 Hz – 23 kHz (-6 dB)) and accuracy of frequency response (e.g. ± 1.5 dB (66 Hz - 20 kHz)).

I understand that that the frequency response is what the speaker is capable of producing whereas the accuracy is the part of the frequency response that the speaker has been designed for... in this example in between 66hz - 20hz the speaker will produce each tone within a 3db range of one another.

However the bit I don't get is the -6db on the frequency response spec, could someone kindly explain :)
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: Frequency Response vs Accuracy of Frequency Response

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

Frequency response describes the overall extension of the frequency response using -6 dB values for both extremes of the response. Accuracy of frequency response describes the accuracy or flatness of the frequency response within the said range.

Thanks for the reply Ilkka, would you be able to explain in a more simple way as I'm only a musician :lol: all a bit technical for my brain

Is it like saying - using my example (8320) - that at 55hz the response is -6db and hypothetically 54hz is -7db so you don't include it in the frequency response stat.
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Yes, it's exactly like that. Maybe this diagram helps you to understand. http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/amp ... gif?x98918 -6 dB is the attenuation from the average level where we specify the frequency response or in other words, bandwidth, between the low and high frequency corners.

Absolutely brilliant!! Thanks :D