Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Genelec M030 to USB audio interface creates sparks

ginerpri, modified 5 Years ago.

Genelec M030 to USB audio interface creates sparks

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 6/30/16 Recent Posts
Hello,
I may have a problem with my M030s. They are connected to my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 balanced outputs via TRS (stereo cables) and that is connected via USB to my MacBbook Pro. Now, everytime the USB cable touches near the USB port on the computer (as I'm reaching with the cable to attach it), some tiny blue-ish sparks lights from it. If the Genelecs are disconnected from the interface, then no sparks occur.
Everything is on the same power strip.

I have to add that if also my mixer with all the synths , drum machine etc. are connected to the Focusrite, then the electricity is going literally everywhere (i.e. if I slightly touch my MS-20 metal case, I can feel "vibrant" electricity on the tip of my fingers).
I don't know what is causing this, I've used the power cables that were in the box with the monitors. Maybe the cause is because those cable have only two poles and not a third prong for grounding?

Thanks in advance
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: Genelec M030 to USB audio interface creates sparks

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

I would advice you to acquire line transformers on the signal cables or USB cables which will act as galvanic separators between devices. This will stop the problem. For audio cables I can recommend for example Cordial CLT 1, RDL AV-HK1X, Lundahl LL1584-3FX or Lundahl LL156X3FX with suitable connectors.