Message Boards

8030 based home cinema

pressure, modified 4 Years ago.

8030 based home cinema

Youngling Posts: 3 Join Date: 5/20/16 Recent Posts
I am planning on basic my home theatre set up on 8030s and I'd be interested in your views on how well this will work.

First the room. It is not huge - 3.5m wide; 4m long; 2.8m high. So that's 39m3. According to the Monitor Set Up Guide, even 6010s can handle that room size.

However because it's a domestic environment, my seat position is around 2.5 to 3m. And I am not sure what monitors will really work at that distance.

My current set up is 8020s on left and right, a single 1031 as the centre, with XTZ 99.25s as rears, fed by an Emotiva
UAP200. XTZ 1x12 sub (which is very good). XTZ S2s up firing speakers. I use MiniDSP Dirac room EQ (which is fantastic). The processor is a Marantz 6010.

The 8020s are from my home studio. I used to run XTZ Cinema M6s at the front, but once I tried my studio monitors in the living room, there was no going back. So much more precise, and musical. This set up works extremely well but the1031 is too ugly and I want matching speakers. I have to "lean into" the room a little bit to get the best sound from the 8020s, so I suspect I might need bigger speakers with more projection. Unfortunately the sofa is almost at the back of the room, there's just a big bass trap behind it.

So, my plan is as follows: 3 x 8030s on the front, and still keep the XTZs for rear and Atmos duties. The speakers will still be on a 50cm high rack that extends the width of the room, which is not ideal but I cannot wall mount them.

The question is - will 8030s give enough projection into the room for a ~3m seat distance? I might be able to stretch to 8040s, though I think they might be overkill given just how well 8020s work. 8050s sadly would be out of budget.

All suggestions gratefully accepted.

Room layout:

Seating position of the room:

Full-width equipment rack
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: 8030 based home cinema

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

Thank you for your detailed plans, they are really helpful! In a typical professional application such as mixing studio 3 meter listening distance would be too high for the 8030s but in home audio application it is quite typical. Of course you will get even more direct sound with bigger monitors such as 8040 so if your budget can stretch there, I wouldn't hesitate getting them. I haven't ever heard a disappointed customer after going forward with bigger monitors than originally planned. :)
pressure, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: 8030 based home cinema

Youngling Posts: 3 Join Date: 5/20/16 Recent Posts
Excellent, thank you for your advice Ilkka!
juliadavid, modified 6 Months ago.

RE: 8030 based home cinema

Youngling Posts: 0 Join Date: 3/6/21 Recent Posts

I love only Lounge Furniture-style home theater setup (if we talk about bedroom).