Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

8351's hissing harder then normal at Idle

avantmidi, modified 5 Years ago.

8351's hissing harder then normal at Idle

Youngling Posts: 15 Join Date: 5/28/15 Recent Posts
Dear Illka,

Yesterday I installed my 8351 in my new studio. When I powered them up and performed the glm calibration I noticed that one of my 8351's has a much louder idle hiss than the other. I never noticed this before. Maybe it is the room which is different but I dont think so. With my ears 60 cm from the 8351's the difference is very noticable. Eqsily twice as loud. I already tried to restore factory settings this dindt work. It really iddle noise since I hear it when only the power cables are plugged in.

I threat the monitors extemly well. No single scratch, always very carefull and transported in their original
Packaging. They are one year old approx.

I'm afraid something is wrong with the hardware.
Do you have any solution maybe before I send the loud hissing one over to Finland

Is there another hard reset method?
Pretty sad about it.
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: 8351's hissing harder then normal at Idle

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

Sorry to hear about problems with our products. Can you please file a service enquire with all requested information so that we can process it through our system, thanks!

http://www.genelec.com/service-enquiry-form

60 cm listening distance sounds really small, are you truly listening that close? :shock:

Hi Illka,

Thank you for your fast reaction. My listening position is in a 1.2m triangle. So from my sweetspot the monitors are 1.20 from each ear. In this position at 1.2m I can clearly hear the right monitor putting out a louder hiss/white-noise.

Just to be sure I will swap the monitors from L->R to eliminate this is the room I'm hearing. This was the reason I mentioned the 60cm test. This eliminates more of the rooms behaviour I suppose.

To bad. I swapped the monitors. Still very remarkable which monitor hisses most. A least about twice as much. :( :)
I will fill out the forms. Original boxes are here for Shipment. Can I update the firmware maybe? Is that possible?

For sure it is not a firmware issue so an update does not help. Please fill out the service request form so that we can start to process this with your local distributor. Where did you purchase the monitors from and where are you located?
iraningua, modified 5 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 8/14/16 Recent Posts
For sure it is not a firmware issue so an update does not help. Please fill out the service request form so that we can start to process this with your local distributor. Where did you purchase the monitors from and where are you located?

Hi,

I need some help for a different issue, how can i contact you privately?

Cheers.

Hi,

I need some help for a different issue, how can i contact you privately?

Cheers.

You can send me private message here or email "support (at) genelec.com"