Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Does 7360 sub work with "5-series" speakers?

photony, modified 5 Years ago.

Does 7360 sub work with "5-series" speakers?

Youngling Posts: 19 Join Date: 11/20/11 Recent Posts
Hi,
I have a pair of 8340 speakers which I might upgrade in the future for a 8350 pair. But first I'm considering to buy a sub for my 8340 speakers. So I'm wondering if I could buy 7360 and perhaps use it in the future with a 8350 pair. Spl is no issue.

Thanks.
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: Does 7360 sub work with "5-series" speakers?

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

Thank you for your question. Actually I would call them 8300 series monitors. Third number defines the (woofer) size of the model which in 8350 is an 8 inch. Maximum SPL wise our recommendation is to use 7370 with stereo system and 2x7370 or single 7271 with multichannel system. Of course the 7360 will work too but the maximum SPL of the subwoofer will then limit the total SPL of the system.
photony, modified 5 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 19 Join Date: 11/20/11 Recent Posts
Thank you Ilkka and sorry for the late reply.

It's good to know that I can use 7360 potentially with a pair of 8350. Maybe you could inform about this and potential combinations of Genelec speakers more clearly on your website? Just a suggestion.

The reason why I was asking, is that, correct if I'm wrong, you can't use 7050 with "4-series" speakers G4, 8040, 8340. So, I was thinking that maybe the same is true for larger Genelec speaker combinations as well.

It's good to know that I can use 7360 potentially with a pair of 8350. Maybe you could inform about this and potential combinations of Genelec speakers more clearly on your website? Just a suggestion.

We don't want to recommend these officially because the system is not optimally balanced when it comes to maximum SPL capability. We only recommend balanced system combinations.

The reason why I was asking, is that, correct if I'm wrong, you can't use 7050 with "4-series" speakers G4, 8040, 8340. So, I was thinking that maybe the same is true for larger Genelec speaker combinations as well.

That is indeed true. The 7050 does not have bass management which is required for the high pass filtering. Therefore it can be only used with 8020 and 8030 monitors which include 85 Hz high pass filter option on them.
raoulst, modified 5 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 28 Join Date: 5/13/16 Recent Posts
Hello Illka,

We don't want to recommend these officially because the system is not optimally balanced when it comes to maximum SPL capability. We only recommend balanced system combinations.

just to be sure, http://www.genelec.com/documents/other/ ... ection.pdf suggests, that 2x7360 subs would also provide a balanced option to use with a pair of 8351 monitors.
Would you agree?

Hello Illka,

just to be sure, http://www.genelec.com/documents/other/ ... ection.pdf suggests, that 2x7360 subs would also provide a balanced option to use with a pair of 8351 monitors.
Would you agree?

Yes, I agree. :)