Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

room size 8' x 10', M030 or M040?

zephonic, modified 5 Years ago.

room size 8' x 10', M030 or M040?

Youngling Posts: 11 Join Date: 5/29/15 Recent Posts
I'm converting my garage to a small music workspace, I'm shooting for 8' x 12' (240 cm x 360 cm), but may have to settle for 8' x 10' (240 cm x 300 m). Height will be ±90" (±225 cm).

I was going to purchase the M030's once I was done with the conversion, but someone has offered me his 3-month old M040's for $1100, which is only $100 more than M030's cost new here (and with CA sales tax it would be around the same).

Seems like a good deal, but I'm somewhat concerned that the 040's may be too big for my workspace. Is this indeed the case? What does Genelec recommend for the room size specified above? I'll have the speakers on IsoAcoustic stands about 8"/20cm above my desk surface. Thanks.
1038, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: room size 8' x 10', M030 or M040?

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
Genelec's room guide is based upon the speaker being able to achieve a certain SPL.

The M040's wont overdrive your room, they will have an extended LF performance over the 30's, but both speakers would need to have their room response compensation engaged, you should download the owners manual and have a read....

The 40's can play louder than the 30's but if you are listening to both at the same level, the 40's will have more bass extension...

Thanks for your reply.

you should download the owners manual and have a read....

That was the first thing I did, of course. But I could not find anything related to room size.

On a different note, certain other speaker manufacturers recommend a "burn-in" period. Genelec's documentation does not mention this. Not necessary or?

Also, I will have a fair amount of acoustic treatment. Panels behind the speakers, at the first reflection points (sidewalls), on the back wall, and I might consider building a cloud.

Hi Zephonic,

here is the document you need to read, you can exchange 8030 for m030 and 8040 for m040. Pages 20 and 21 are what you are looking for, the listening distance is more critical than room volume for correct monitor choice..

http://www.genelec.com/sites/default/files/media/Studio%20monitors/Catalogues/genelec_monitor_setup_guide_2015.pdf

Burn in is a controversial topic.... I recently compared my original demo 8240's which are over 10 years old to a new pair.... they sounded the same.....

In regards to your acoustic treatment i'd prioritise the cloud and broadband bass traps rather than the wall behind the speaker...
adriantatar, modified 5 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 29 Join Date: 5/27/14 Recent Posts
Hi Zephonic,

Here is the most recent document from genelec about monitors performance in a room, this include the M series too. I'm also a M030 user.
http://www.genelec.com/sites/default/fi ... rmance.pdf

All the best

AdrianTatar

Thanks for the links, fellas.

It seems the M030 would be a slightly better fit at ~70cm listening distance, with the M040's coming into their own at 1m. I'd have them roughly at arm's length, which I believe to be about 1m in my case.

I don't know how critical your monitoring requirements are, but if your budget can stretch you should really also consider the 8320 or 8330, the benefits of acoustic treatment and high quality EQ need to be heard, if you can, beg steal or borrow a pair of these new baby SAM monitors you should. If you need more LF then the matching 7350 is a perfect match....