Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Has anyone EQd Genelecs to be HiFi listening speakers?

arca, modified 6 Years ago.

Has anyone EQd Genelecs to be HiFi listening speakers?

Youngling Posts: 6 Join Date: 7/21/16 Recent Posts
I really like the idea of Genelecs because unlike normal HIFI bookshelf speakers, they're active, and have built in room correction capability. I was thinking of getting the 8350s when they came out and using them as bookshelf listening speakers. I was thinking of setting them flat with autocal, then using the manual EQ feature to boost the 150hz bass region by 5db (after first lowering the gain by 5db so it doesn't clip) and then lowering the 4k region by say 3db, to give it a little bit of a warm Sennheiser sound.

Has anyone done something like this before? Does it work well? How much do you need to EQ for it to be more like a typical HiFi speaker?
1038, modified 6 Years ago.

Re: Has anyone EQd Genelecs to be HiFi listening speakers?

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
We have installed many as hifi speakers...

To be honest the true benefit of autocal is that you can look at the results and fine tune your installation by moving the speakers and listening positiion, this will give you much better benefits over manually tweaking the response, to be honest most of our installs simply use the standard autocal setting and most listeners love it...

We have installed many as hifi speakers...

To be honest the true benefit of autocal is that you can look at the results and fine tune your installation by moving the speakers and listening positiion, this will give you much better benefits over manually tweaking the response, to be honest most of our installs simply use the standard autocal setting and most listeners love it...

Well I was saying I would use autocal to make them flat, then use the manual EQ to make it so that only the frequencies I wanted where lowered or boosted.
1038, modified 6 Years ago.

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
I understood what you said, i was simply informing you that in most cases people are stunned with the performance of the system once autocal has been employed... And it is far more beneficial to fine tune placement than manually play with random eq...
thesky555, modified 6 Years ago.

They sound great in a home system as they are

Padawan Posts: 48 Join Date: 1/26/15 Recent Posts
I use my 8351s for Hi Fi with GLM adjusting the frequency curve. Nothing else - no furter adjustments. I promise you, if you do the same you will not be disappointed!

They sound absolutely terrific, the fine tuning to the room is easy, and they take up minimal space. (Be sure to get the white model. It looks super cool in a living room.)

That being said, and even though I'm very satisfied with my system the way it is, it would be awesome if future versions of the GLM software would allow for us to set a number of different standard output frequency curves. I would also like to be able to at least experiment with a little boost in the bass, and a "Sennheiser sound".

I'm sure the good people at Genelec could set up such a curve MUCH better than you or I, and it could simply be a standard option in future versions of the GLM software.

Re: They sound great in a home system as they are

I would also like to be able to at least experiment with a little boost in the bass, and a "Sennheiser sound".

Well, why don't you do it? Can't you boost the bass with the manual EQ?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 6 Years ago.

Re: They sound great in a home system as they are

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
I use my 8351s for Hi Fi with GLM adjusting the frequency curve. Nothing else - no furter adjustments. I promise you, if you do the same you will not be disappointed!

They sound absolutely terrific, the fine tuning to the room is easy, and they take up minimal space. (Be sure to get the white model. It looks super cool in a living room.)

That being said, and even though I'm very satisfied with my system the way it is, it would be awesome if future versions of the GLM software would allow for us to set a number of different standard output frequency curves. I would also like to be able to at least experiment with a little boost in the bass, and a "Sennheiser sound".

I'm sure the good people at Genelec could set up such a curve MUCH better than you or I, and it could simply be a standard option in future versions of the GLM software.

Hi there,

You CAN do all of this and even more with the GLM/AutoCal already today! :) There is no need to wait for a future upgrade.
hanspeter, modified 5 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 2/28/15 Recent Posts
Hello,
I did the adjustments after calibration and noticed that there is possibility to boost 3 db even in the lower frequencies. I put 3 db to 60 hz to get better performance between 65-100 hz. Maybe this could be one solution to Arcas idea?
Has Ilkka any comments to this kind of adjustement, is it ok to boost from lower frequencies?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Wide band boosts are just fine but you have understood it slightly wrong. The filter that you are using is a high shelving filter which means that it can either attenuate or boost frequencies above its center frequency. It is not a bandpass type of filter which is effective only within a certain (determined by the Q value) bandwidth.

Our low shelving filters don't allow boosting but you can use the high shelving filters to attenuate the mids and highs to effectively boost the lows. So you should change the filter gain to -3 dB instead. Then everything above 60 Hz will be attenuated by 3 dB or in other words everything below 60 Hz will be effectively boosted by 3 dB.

You should notice that the shelving filters have a fairly shallow slope which means that the transition bandwidth is wide. I would recommend setting the filter somewhere around 200-400 Hz to be more effective in boosting the low frequencies.