Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

JBL LSR sub with Genelec M030?

zephonic, modified 5 Years ago.

JBL LSR sub with Genelec M030?

Youngling Posts: 11 Join Date: 5/29/15 Recent Posts
Would the JBL LSR 310S be a suitable match for the Genelec M030's?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: JBL LSR sub with Genelec M030?

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

We recommend to use Genelec subwoofers with our monitors. You could try for example your new and slim 7040A subwoofer.

Thanks for your reply. Wouldn't the M030's be limited by the 7040's lower max SPL?

Yes, it will limit the maximum SPL by 3 to 4 dB. My recommendation was based on your budget. You will get matching performance by getting the new 7360A model.

Understood, thanks.

For a room of about 240x300x225cm (w/l/h), would it be smarter to simply get the M040's and skip the sub altogether?

Well, it depends what kind of LF extension you require. I am sure M040's alone would sound extremely good and provide good extension down to 40 Hz. Of course there is always a possibility to add a subwoofer later.

I don't need crazy amounts of low end, just want to ensure I can reliably hear what's going on in the bottom octave.

The combination of M030's with a 7040 is actually more costly than a set of M040's, and since the 7040 has a single 6.5" woofer, I don't really understand how it produces deeper lows than an M040 with an identically sized woofer?

Even though the diameter of the woofer is the same, it is not the same type of driver. The 7040 driver is optimized for subwoofer use and the enclosure (with reflex port) is also tuned much lower which results in better LF performance.

Bottom octave is little bit vague because for some people it might mean 16...32 Hz or 20...40 Hz or 50...100 Hz etc :)