Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

How different is the in room+post-autocal bass extension

arca, modified 5 Years ago.

How different is the in room+post-autocal bass extension

Youngling Posts: 6 Join Date: 7/21/16 Recent Posts
Hello, first post here.

I was just wondering how different the in room+post-autocal bass extension response is from the anechoic response shown in Genelec monitor specs? Does it depend on placement? Does it depend on room size?

Maybe for an idea, people could tell me the SAM monitor they have, their room size and placement, and what the measured response is flat to. I'd be very grateful for that. Especially useful would be responses from people who have Genelec 8351s, Genelec 8050s, or Genelec 8250, since those monitors are most analogous to the Genelec 8350s which is what I'm going to get, which aren't out yet.

Asking because I'm wondering if a Sub will be worth it. Thanks in advance!
1038, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: How different is the in room+post-autocal bass extension

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
Hi Arca,

based on looking at well over 50 in room measurements of 8200 and 8300 speakers where speakers have been positioned close to the front wall i usually average the following LF extension...

8240's usually flat to around 29 - 30 Hz
8250 & 8351's usually down around 25Hz
8260's typically 18 - 20 Hz

We usually see boundary gain ranging from 10dB to over 20dB in the 40 - 60 Hz region. The higher mass your front wall the more boundary gain you will measure.

here are some of my plots showing good and not so good speaker locations... Click on image to see full image.

8351 poor room

8260 poor room
arca, modified 5 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 6 Join Date: 7/21/16 Recent Posts
Hi Arca,

We usually see boundary gain ranging from 10dB to over 20dB in the 40 - 60 Hz region. The higher mass your front wall the more boundary gain you will measure.

Thank you very much for the response, it's really helpful.

I was just wondering what you meant by this part. What do you mean by the mass of the front wall? Also isn't Autocal supposed to correct for that?
1038, modified 5 Years ago.

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
Yes, autocal corrects the response, when looking at the results, the red trace is in room measurement, the blue trace is the autocal filter and the green trace is the end result.

The "mass" of the wall refers to the density of the wall, so a concrete or stone wall will have much more mass/density than an internal plasterboard wall. The more solid the wall the more energy reflects off it, i light wall will allow the sound to escape, so the reflections have less impact.