Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

8330A+7350A or 8340A?

1236, modified 5 Years ago.

8330A+7350A or 8340A?

Youngling Posts: 6 Join Date: 7/19/16 Recent Posts
Hi, I am Ha - mixing engineer. I am in the middle of decision of main near field system to complement my current NS10s and Auratone setup. My room is about 3mx3mx7m (L) which will be upgraded acoustic treatment a lot soon. I want to monitor full range or near full range because I am tired of car check.

I will chose between:
- 2.1 setup of 8330a + 7350A + GLM2
- 8340A + GLM2

In terms of sound quality and technology, is there any different between 8330 and 8340 except from woofer and cabinet size? Which one will give better sound quality (especially midrange clarity and transient quality) and translation?

I dont need much SPL because I always monitoring at very low level, only turn loud (not ear bleeding level) occasionally to check the mix.

I tended to purchase used pair of 1030A and 7050B however Jantex recommended me to check 83xx series. So I convinced by the concept of 83xx+GLM will give me best result.

Please help me to choose the most suitable set for me because to me, this is HUGE investment, especially, I dont have any chance to audition them.

Thank you very much.

Re: 8330A+7350A or 8340A?

No one reply? :(
eric-seaberg, modified 5 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 11 Join Date: 11/18/09 Recent Posts
I've had a personal set of 8030s for quite a while and recently upgraded to 8330 with GLM2. This is for my home workstation and not really setup as a controlroom, although our facility has 4 audio suites, 6 video suites and an HDTV OB van, all with Genelec monitoring.

The 8330s are AMAZING for their size. I tend to mix at a fixed level of 76-84dB SPL based on Dolby recommendations for TV post, and have my personal 8330s set this way. At this setting, program peaks usually hit mid to upper 80s dB, and the 8330s carry it ALL! My typical mix room has 8240s in a 5.1 setup with sub and DSP, and I really don't feel that the 8330s are lacking much compared to the other space.

Of course the 8240 setup can hit massive SPL when needed, but I tend to mix at low levels and always do MONO check. I've been in the recording biz since 1971 and that's how I learned. ;-)
1038, modified 5 Years ago.

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
You won't get many replies because most people haven't been able to hear 8340's yet...

The 8330's and 7350 are a formidable combination, they provide a solution that is compact and portable whilst providing stunning performance.

The 8340's will no doubt be stunning, in room they won't have the LF extension of the 7350, typically we get around 30Hz in room with 8240's, where the 7350 will get into the low 20's.

The 8340's will suit a larger room with longer listening distance, i typically recommend 2.0 solutions rather than 2.1, but the new 7300 series subs will change this as now we can get a correctly calibrated subwoofer into the system seamlessly.

If you don't need to monitor down to 20Hz and 30Hz will do, i'd still probably recommend 8340's but as yet we in Australia are waiting for our first delivery...

I've had a personal set of 8030s for quite a while and recently upgraded to 8330 with GLM2. This is for my home workstation and not really setup as a controlroom, although our facility has 4 audio suites, 6 video suites and an HDTV OB van, all with Genelec monitoring.

The 8330s are AMAZING for their size. I tend to mix at a fixed level of 76-84dB SPL based on Dolby recommendations for TV post, and have my personal 8330s set this way. At this setting, program peaks usually hit mid to upper 80s dB, and the 8330s carry it ALL! My typical mix room has 8240s in a 5.1 setup with sub and DSP, and I really don't feel that the 8330s are lacking much compared to the other space.

Of course the 8240 setup can hit massive SPL when needed, but I tend to mix at low levels and always do MONO check. I've been in the recording biz since 1971 and that's how I learned. ;-)

Dear Eric,
Thank you for giving me realworld review of 8330. It seems that 8330 can do great. My future setup will be Genelec 5.1 system, that's why I slightly prefer 8330+7350A to 8340A. But, damn, the copywriter of Genelec is so good at his work making me become so indecisive when reading about 8340A. My bad. Hahaha.

You won't get many replies because most people haven't been able to hear 8340's yet...

The 8330's and 7350 are a formidable combination, they provide a solution that is compact and portable whilst providing stunning performance.

The 8340's will no doubt be stunning, in room they won't have the LF extension of the 7350, typically we get around 30Hz in room with 8240's, where the 7350 will get into the low 20's.

The 8340's will suit a larger room with longer listening distance, i typically recommend 2.0 solutions rather than 2.1, but the new 7300 series subs will change this as now we can get a correctly calibrated subwoofer into the system seamlessly.

If you don't need to monitor down to 20Hz and 30Hz will do, i'd still probably recommend 8340's but as yet we in Australia are waiting for our first delivery...

Dear 1038,
Thank you for your suggestion. Recently i have to mix many EDM songs (I actually prefer Metal, Rock, Jazz, Fusion, Funk and Pop sessions over EDM anyday) so I need something help me to audition sub frequencies instead of headphone check and many unneccesary car checks.
I have just check frequency response of 8340A. They say +-1 at 44hz and +-6 at 38hz. Some EDM kick and modern Metal kick has thunderous sub, should 8340A render them accurately?

Regards,
Ha

If you intend going 5.1, then i'd recommend starting with a pair of 8340's, if you find you need more SPL and extension then add a 7360A, then later add another 8340 for front centre and a pair of 8330's as rears.. Or you could start with 2 x 8330's then move them to rears when you get LCR and sub, i'd recommend 7360 or 7370 over 7350 for 5.1 use..

It all depends on your cashflow....

here is a screen capture of a fairly typical 8240 install, as you can see, really nice extension flat to 30Hz

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your help. Yeah, I intend to go with 5.1 in next few years. The future budget is all depends on ROI of this investment so I cant predict anything. I think I will start with 8330, if everything is good afterthat, I will follow your advice adding 8340A as LCR and move 8330A to the rear.

Thank you very much! \m/

Ha
eric-seaberg, modified 5 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 11 Join Date: 11/18/09 Recent Posts
I'm really wondering how your room of 3x3x7 is going to handle the SPL? That's a decent depth for low-freq propagation, but you're almost going to run out of room for the Ls/Rs.

Still, it sounds like a fun project. GOOD LUCK and HAPPY SHOPPING!!

I'm really wondering how your room of 3x3x7 is going to handle the SPL? That's a decent depth for low-freq propagation, but you're almost going to run out of room for the Ls/Rs.

Still, it sounds like a fun project. GOOD LUCK and HAPPY SHOPPING!!

Dear Eric,
I also worry about how good I can treat my room within my very limited budget (~1000$ treatment - all DIY stuff). I also have no experience with surround until I have enough money to fully setup 5.1 system. Therefore, I will go with 2.1 setup first. My room will be reduced quite a lot after treatment (the length will be reduced at least 2meters for giant traps, and the ceiling will be taken away at least 1m for treatment, also). I hope GLM2 will help me to even out the bass response after all.

My wife will kill me after I treat my studio (actually, it's a... living room). I hope I will be able to survive after the first (really powerfull as expected) storms from her.

I have just purchased 8330 2.1 setup.
God bless us - audio guys.
lol

Ha.

Congratulations,

don't forget to let us know what you think when you have set them up.....

When doing the initial setup, focus on the red line (in-room response), if it has cancellations, re calibrate with different speaker and mix positions, looking to minimise cancellations, once you have the in-room response as nice as you can get it settle on that as your setup.

If you have any questions, just ask....

Have fun...
1236, modified 4 Years ago.

Congratulations,

don't forget to let us know what you think when you have set them up.....

When doing the initial setup, focus on the red line (in-room response), if it has cancellations, re calibrate with different speaker and mix positions, looking to minimise cancellations, once you have the in-room response as nice as you can get it settle on that as your setup.

If you have any questions, just ask....

Have fun...

Dear 1038,
I received 8330A and 7350A about 2 weeks ago.

I did quick setup and turn it on. At first, the sound is strange because it has too much bass and the bass is not tight. I guess it is normal because Genelec is calibrated flat in Anechoic chamber, not in a room. My room is lightly treated as you can see here:

However, after calibration process with GLM2, the mid become clearer. The mid/high details, stereo image are all great. Bass is a little bit slower and not as clear as mid/high than my expected. Maybe it because I am used to the king of transient - NS10M and Auratone. I think the main reason is my room. From the calibration curve, I can see it sucked almost 19dB from my room's lowest mode (~27hz)!!! However I dont know why when checking the Time-of-Flight parameter of 8330A, it said 0 ms? Because I clearly put the sub right against frontwall (<5cm), and 8330As are about 1.5m (>60 cm) from frontwall (according to Genelec setup guide). You can see it in picture below. I really admire your room. My mid is not as flat as yours, it has big 1.7kHz bump (+4dB). And my highs has a little dip (2dB) from 7k-12k. The result is some bright or female vocals felt a little bit not as up front as it should be.

I was only really excited after I did a quick 2-hour rock mix with it (just listen to reference material once before mixing). How I can describe? The translation is FUCKING AWESOME. The sound, instruments balance is dead locked when i check on Auratone, my trusty Beyerdynamic DT880 and low-end devices like iPhone 6 earbud, ATH-M20x. I dont know what is happening. It is just strange. It is even NOT mastered mix. I just put the Pro-L on 2bus for some loudness.

The only two things that helped me has that ability to translate right after first mixing test is NS10M Studio, and currently is Beyerdynamic DT880.

Overall, I am satisfied. Listening to "Like a dog chasing car" soundtrack on this Genny setup is just simply HEAVEN-like.

Ha Nguyen