Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

8020A + 8020B combination?

insider, modified 5 Years ago.

8020A + 8020B combination?

Youngling Posts: 7 Join Date: 1/24/12 Recent Posts
Hello there guys,

I need an advice on this, since i've noticed just recently that I own two different 8020 models...

It seems for me that the 8020A's gradual volume curve is different then 8020b model... meaning that when I set up the volume level on both just right on 12'o clock position seems that B version is a bit higher in volume than A version.... nevertheless, when I set up both on maximum volume level they seem to have equal volume lvl... But since im using a 5040A sub I need to regulate those SPL levels to match up the sub SPL...

Is there any advice im missing on this? Im not sure if the vendors sold me two different model deliberately or by mistake, but since both indicated as 8020B on the BOX, i didn't thought they could be different models.

Now I realize the basic differences between both models...

I know they are technically the same but i didn't found any clear answer for this topic...

Is there any problem on mixmatching A and B models?

Re: 8020A + 8020B combination?

No one?
1038, modified 5 Years ago.

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
Illka is on holiday, so it might be a while before you get an official answer from Genelec...

I can't comment on the volume pot positions, but i'd have no hesitation in saying that you can mix and match them... Though if you have just bought them, i'd be talking to the retailer and wanting a pair of A's or B's, if nothing else it might make them a bit harder to sell if you upgrade down the track.
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi there,

I am not sure why you think you have two different revisions of the product? If the both products read 8020B, then they both are 8020B revisions. :) Volume potentiometers indeed differ slightly from unit to unit, that's why we recommend to keep them at maximum position because then they are matched at the same level. In the special case of 5040A subwoofer, you can either use some audio measurement equipment (mic and software or a simple SPL meter) to match the speaker levels to the subwoofer and also levels between each loudspeaker.

Hey guys thanks for the answer! It seems to me i can at least be cool with mix and matching.

Regarding Ilkka question,

This article brought up my question:

http://www.community.genelec.com/news/3 ... 0---tip-13

If both were B, shouldn't they have the same on/off/potentiometer system? Shouln't they look precisely the same?

What does it mean to have this extra "rearmounted" XLR connector output on A's version?

Setting the 8020 volumes to max seems not possible when combining with the 5040a unbalanced outputs right?
Or am i missing something?

Again, thanks for the tips answers.

Sorry but I still don't fully understand your situation. Could you please take pictures of the rear panels, it's easy to determine which revisions they are then.

'A' revision had XLR output which means that one could connect the subwoofer using that connector instead of routing the signal through the subwoofer.
insider, modified 4 Years ago.

Sorry but I still don't fully understand your situation. Could you please take pictures of the rear panels, it's easy to determine which revisions they are then.

'A' revision had XLR output which means that one could connect the subwoofer using that connector instead of routing the signal through the subwoofer.

Hey there Ilkka,

They are surely different revisions(see photos).. i think the resellers got those monitor from their showcase, and put an 8020a model on a 8020b box by mistake.

I basically just want to make sure which is the best way to match my 5040a subwoofer + both A and B revisions.

As far is I understood there are 2 ways of interconnecting them.. I'm using both connected to the subwoofer with XLR -> RCA cables. No bass roll off, only -2db bass tilt on both, also a -2db bass tilt on subwoofer and the -180° reverse phase is activated, the subwoofer volume is set to maximum level while the speakers are set around 11 o'clock. I feel that 12 o'clock takes too much of the subwoofer presence(Maybe a treble tilt to counterbalance?)

I set it to reverse phase because i read somewhere in here that if the sub is placed relatively close to the speakers it should sound proper in most cases.. nevertheless im testing and trying to follow my ear intuition.

What if I want to connect the sub via A's extra XLR?? Would I need to roll off the 85hz since 5040a wont balance the frequencies out? Would be possible to match sub/speakers spl?

What do you recommend most in this case?

Im wondering if this method allow me to monitor both volumes(sub/speakers) separately? Wouldn't that be better for monitoring purposes?

Sorry for the load of questions, im still learning this subject, and thank you once again...

Here follow some pictures of my setup:
A revision:

B revision:

Setup:

I believe we have two different issues here:

1) Revision
2) Connectivity

I still don't fully grasp the issue 1. The 8020B unit looks dirty and used. I though you bought these both units as new? Can you please take a picture of the serial numbers of both units so that I can check their manufacturing dates. Where exactly did you purchase these monitors?

When it comes to issue 2, you current connection works correctly, there is no reason to change it. You are able to adjust both volumes separately, they won't affect to each other.
insider, modified 4 Years ago.

Thanks again Ilkka,

sorry if i explained my self bad.. well i bought them already 5 years ago, the subwoofer was a recent used acquisition.

The way i have them connected I can only regulate the overall volume thru the sub volume wheel, since the speakers goes thru the sub..

The only way i can hear only the sub is if I pull down the speakers volume, but then i always have to rebalance the speakers volume once again, too loud and the sub is overwhelmed by the speakers..

Here follows the serials.

By the way i bought them in Justmusic.de, directly at te store in Berlin, Germany.

The 8020B unit seems to be manufactured in January 2011 but the 8020A unit already in November 2008. That is really strange when considering that those were sold you as a new pair. You should have contacted the dealer back then.

If you want to constantly adjust the subwoofer volume independently to the monitors, you need to split the signal between the subwoofer and each monitor. Then the system volume controller connected to the subwoofer will adjust its volume only. You can't use the speaker's output connector because its volume will be affected by the front rotary controller.

Yes it was a pity i didn't saw this at the time... they just look so exactly the same with the small difference between then that I just though one was complementary from each other... And also they seemed to have came straight out of the box, no use at all since I bought them... So yeah, they were both new pairs, or at least practically that.

Nevertheless, it seems to be equal when it comes to frequency response .. Thats whats should matter more when it comes to optimal frequency response right?

Thanks you for the support.

all the best.

Nevertheless, it seems to be equal when it comes to frequency response .. Thats whats should matter more when it comes to optimal frequency response right?

Yes, correct.

Thankyou!!!