Message Boards

Mixing M40 and 8030B in home theater

tonygeno, modified 5 Years ago.

Mixing M40 and 8030B in home theater

Youngling Posts: 18 Join Date: 1/1/16 Recent Posts
I have a 75 cubic meter home theater and am currently running 8030Bs all around with a non Genelec subwoofer using my pre-pro to set the crossover frequency at 100hz. The system is optimized with Dirac Live using a MiniDsp DDRC-88A. The system sounds fantastic, but sometimes I think I would like more output capability (could definitely be psychological, I will admit).

I am thinking of increasing my 3 fronts to get more power to a 6.5 inch woofer and was thinking of using 3 M40s up front and using the 8030s as surrounds. My question is: will they match tonally or would this be a mistake. I originally chose the 8000 series because of its ability to be wall mounted with Genelec hardware (the surrounds are about 2 meters off the ground to the sides of the listeners, pointed down) which is not an option for the M series. The three front speakers are on stands.

I would appreciate any input on this. Thanks in advance.
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: Mixing M40 and 8030B in home theater

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

I think you don't have to worry about the tonality difference because both series sound quite the same and it is not that critical to match front and surround speakers.

I am slightly worried if M040s will provide large enough SPL capability difference compared to your current 8030s. Yes, they play louder but it won't be a night and day difference. I think you should demo them first before making the decision. :) 8x50 would be my recommendation if you want really noticeable change in performance.

Thanks so much for the reply. With a 100 hz crossover, It is probably not worth it. I assume filtering the bass out of the 8030s, limits the output capability difference between the 30s and 40s?

To a degree yes, but there is still more output available above 100 Hz too. M series models are also a bit more capable than their 8000 series counterparts when it comes to maximum output.

So given the crossover point, how many more clean db can I expect out of the M040 as compared to the 8030?

Thanks!

You can expect between 4 to 6 dB more clean output.

Sounds worthwhile. I think I'll give it a go.

Thanks,

Tony