Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Genelec 8040 & Yamaha HS8 impressions after various tests

folan, modified 5 Years ago.

Genelec 8040 & Yamaha HS8 impressions after various tests

Padawan Posts: 54 Join Date: 10/13/14 Recent Posts
Hi Ilkka,

Since you asked in this thread, (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2360) “if there any other brand speakers with comparable features and performance which are sold in considerably lower price?” I decide to share my experience with Yamaha HS8 and Genelec 8040.

Some months ago I bought Yamaha HS8 after hearing them in a friend’s home studio. I was surprised how revealing and tight they were sounding so I decided to buy them as a second opinion next to my 8040. The fact that his room was less treated than mine made a great impression to me.

After countless A/B tests it was crystal clear that HS8 is WAY less room depended than 8040.
Only when I A/B the monitors in my room I realize that 8040 was still muddy with skewed frequency response to some degree. The HS8 was tighter and much clearer, handling very gently the interaction with the room.

After this comparison sincerely I can’t justify the technology of your curved aluminum cabinet (minimum diffraction enclosure). The HS8 has typical sharp edges cabinet and it simply outperforms 8040.

The second major thing I noticed is that the midrange of 8040 is somehow scooped compared to HS8. There is a clear audible difference in this region. The HS8 is pointing directly were the problem is (if there are any), in 8040 the problem is less profound and it is more likely to overlook mistakes.

I mean no disrespect for your monitors, besides I’m still a Genelec user. But I must admit it was quite disappointing to see a 560€ speaker being more flexible and actually more practical from a speaker that has three times up the price.

At the moment I use the HS8 as my primary monitor and 8040 as a second opinion but sincerely, whatever I mix on HS8 sounds great on 8040. I’m sorry to say that it doesn’t work vice versa.

I should mention that in rooms with great acoustics the 8040 transforms to a very rich monitor with a velvet and pleasant sound. While HS8 is a bit more raw and a bit more fatigue I prefer it over 8040 as it is more revealing and true to the source. After all, translation is what we are all seeking for :)

However, still I want to try 8340 because of its DSP technology, but since your new 8300 models share the same aluminum cabinet like the old 8000 models the interaction with the room should be the same. Am I right?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: Genelec 8040 & Yamaha HS8 impressions after various test

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

Thank you for your report and observations. I think I should start by stating that MDE (http://www.genelec.com/key-technologies ... technology) does not have any effect to how the cabinet/monitor interacts with the room when it comes to frequencies lower than ~2-3 kHz (depending on the size of the monitor). MDE works against diffraction but it has nothing to do with low/bass frequencies.

When it comes to the observations you have made about perceived tightness, it is mostly about how the bass response looks like in the room. If the overall level (and shape) of the bass response is not good, it will affect to the total sound of the monitor, all the way up to the midrange. I am guessing you did your listening with "flat" settings? No room eq dip switches where used?

Even though the HS8 has a larger bass driver, the shape of the LF response is so that it starts to roll-off little bit earlier which makes it more tolerable against room gain at the LF.

When it comes to midrange, it is true that when you don't have proper directivity control, the midrange will be more emphasised and in your face, but the downside is that it sounds quite raw and even unnatural, especially in controlled acoustics where you don't have much LF gain to even out the spectral balance.

8340 features the same MDE cabinet but as we just learned, it is not the reason or cause for your findings. The SAM and AutoCal technologies found on that model on the other can bring a huge difference in how the monitor interacts with the room.