Message Boards

Genelec 8020 Home Use

kevinbeared, modified 5 Years ago.

Genelec 8020 Home Use

Youngling Posts: 4 Join Date: 6/20/16 Recent Posts
Hi everybody,

I'm currently really interested in getting a pair of 8020 for my personal use. I essentialy mix (electro music) at my house, listen a lot of music, and love to invite friends over to make them listen.

A friend of mine came to my house one day with the 8010 and i was really impressed. So i went to a store next to my flat in Paris, and try the 8020 and was instantly sold by the quality of this.

My question is : Is this a good choice of speakers for my use ? I have a 50m2 flat so that's not very big. Note that I prefer spend a good amount of money and have really good speaker that i will keep for a long time.
I'm afraid the sound will only go straight in front of the speaker due to his primary function (which is editing) and not spread in the entire room ?

I'm not a professional but i really care about quality of sound, that's why i want these kind of speaker (and not a standard bose or something like that)....

Thank you for your response !
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: Genelec 8020 Home Use

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

If you were impressed of your friends 8010, then I don't see any risk with buying 8020 because they will have everything that the smaller brothers have and then some more. Main difference is the stronger and more extended bass response which will be good for your electronic music.

Naturally the best sound quality will be achieved when you listening the monitors up close but for sure they can also fill up the room with quality sound when required. You can perhaps direct/orientate the monitors little differently for these two purposes.

Ok thanks !

One last question. Between 8020 and 8030, is it only a question of power of sound or is there quality gap ? My music has a lot of bass

Ok thanks !

One last question. Between 8020 and 8030, is it only a question of power of sound or is there quality gap ? My music has a lot of bass

Depends what kind of quality you mean but of course larger model will provide better quality all around, not only bass power and extension. Another approach is to use a subwoofer, which definitely brings the bass power to another level even in the case of the 8030 monitor.

Ok, i think i will go with 8030... I will give a feedback when i will have them at the end of the week.

And (sorry question comes along the way), but the next step will be to buy an amp to switch between radio, aux etc.. easily. Is this a problem that the speaker are already amplified ? Is there any amp recommended with the 8030 ?

Thank you

Yes, you need an amplifier which is compatible with active speakers. It needs to have line level pre-amplifier outputs. You can not connect active speakers into normal speaker outputs.