Message Boards

Help improving sound with my current set up.

aytheory, modified 4 Years ago.

Help improving sound with my current set up.

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 6/6/16 Recent Posts
The room has limited space and currently I want to improve the sound of my current set up.

I feel my current set up to be missing in terms of mid, and I would always like better stereo imaging.

I have a set of 8050a currently. They are tilted to 15 degs down, and I adjusted the bass tilt to the sound I want to achieve. The wall behind the speakers are filled with clothes, when I listen to music the bed tilts up, so a 11 inch mattress is behind my ears. The walls on the side of the speakers have a honey comb fabric shades, and the other side has a large canvas painting.

1. I have an idea to place a set of 8130 right under the 8050 to create a 3 way speakers, sort of.

2. Add another 8050, to be place in the middle.

3. Or would it be much better and upgrade my current set up to 8351 series?

Attachments:

ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: Help improving sound with my current set up.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hello,

Thank you for your interesting questions. :)

I am going to be really blunt here and say that you should forget options 1 and 2. You can't make a three-way speaker like that, and stereo music is supposed to be played back through two, not three monitors. Three or more monitors are used with multichannel (Dolby, DTS etc) material.

Greatest effect to midrange and stereo imaging can be achieved through improving the acoustics of the listening space and using higher quality monitors. Changing your monitors to 8351s will definitely give you noticeable improvement but you should not forget the effect of the listening space.
aytheory, modified 5 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 6/6/16 Recent Posts
Thank You, for the response.

I had some Adam F5 lying around, and I set it up. The genetics sound went from amazing speakers to home audio speakers pretty fast.

You did get better imaging probably because of placement, but the sound was completely off.

I guess 8351, here I come.

Thank You.
manutal, modified 5 Years ago.

Jedi Knight Posts: 180 Join Date: 4/25/14 Recent Posts
Go for the 8351's. Great monitors! No need for any subwoofer when listening to stereo music with these.