Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Genelec 8010a Ground Loop Noise Issue

nani, modified 6 Years ago.

Genelec 8010a Ground Loop Noise Issue

Youngling Posts: 6 Join Date: 5/6/16 Recent Posts
Hello My name is Diego I recently bought a pair of Genelec 8010 and I'm Having issues with my monitors,they are producing this hiss sound even when not connected to the interface (apollo twin duo thunderbolt) with is getting pretty annoying because I can't monitor or mix well, & i was pretty sure active monitors didn't produce any sort of sound when they had no audio connection whatsoever, Please help me.
Diego Ernani
ilkka-rissanen, modified 6 Years ago.

Re: Genelec 8010a Ground Loop Noise Issue

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

All active monitors (and passives too when connected to an amplifier) produce some amount of background noise which is typically described as hiss. We measure and specify this level in the specifications for each monitor and subwoofer type. Typically level is under 5 dBA at 1 meter distance. This amount if noise is not detectable by human hearing under typical conditions. However, if your listening room is dead silent and you are listening at very close distance (under 1 meter), some amount of hiss may be heard if no signal is being played. This is normal behaviour.