Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Bass management filter not working!

mazhar, modified 6 Years ago.

Bass management filter not working!

Youngling Posts: 20 Join Date: 2/11/14 Recent Posts
Hi Ilkka,

I have set up a pair of 8330 with a 7350 subwoofer using AES/EBU. I have set the bass management filter at 100hz using the GLM 2.0 software and also set the bass management setting as ' Global'.

Still, when I am playing 85hz sine wave either from iTunes or the test tones provided on the Genelec website, the main monitors seem to be playing that tone. That shouldn't be the case right? Because then there is no bass management happening, the main monitors are playing full band in spite the bass management filter.

Please advise.
ilkka-rissanen, modified 6 Years ago.

Re: Bass management filter not working!

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

I am fairly confident that the bass management is working just fine. One needs to understand that a crossover is not like a brick wall filter but has a slope instead. Crossover at 100 Hz, tones at smaller frequency will be played through the speakers, only at slightly lower level. The further away you go from the crossover frequency, the more attenuation there will be.

Here is a good explanation with graphs:
http://education.lenardaudio.com/en/06_x-over.html