Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

8330 with 9101A volume controller

eki70, modified 5 Years ago.

8330 with 9101A volume controller

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 3/22/16 Recent Posts
Hi,

I just got my new pair of 8330s and could not be happier with the sound! However, I'm finding some strange behavior with the 9101A wireless volume controller (or then I've missed something). What happens is as follows:

I do all the initial setup and calibration in GLM. Then I do "store to monitors at current level". All's good, I put the GLM network adapter to standalone mode and 9101A works as expected. Then, after I switch the monitors off and back on the next time and start controlling the volume on 9101A, the output level only raises to a certain level and not beyond that (this might actually be the level that I used in storing the settings to monitors). This can be corrected by plugging the GLM network adapter back to the PC and launcing the GLM software, which then resumes normal operation of the 9101A and allows level controlling up to full level.

The same issue seems to happen after each power cycle of the monitors.

Is this intended behavior and should I do "store to monitors at full level" instead? I'm a bit hesitant to try that as I'm afraid the monitors will power on at full level then...

Best regards, Eki
1038, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: 8330 with 9101A volume controller

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
That is expected behavior, if you are using the external volume control, store settings at full master level.

When you cycle the power and GLM is not running, the speaker will revert to it's stored setting.

The only thing to worry about in regards to leaving the monitors at full level is making sure that your source isn't at full level. If you are going to leave the 9101 and network adapter connected then The speakers will remember the last volume setting, can i ask why you are switching them off, why not simply let them go to standby?
eki70, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: 8330 with 9101A volume controller

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 3/22/16 Recent Posts
Thanks for the response. I'll try to store at full level and see what happens. I find it a bit odd, however, that when you "store at current level", that level becomes the max volume that you cannot go beyond with 9101A.

Anyway, I have the network adapter powered on all the time, so if the speakers remember the last volume setting I should be OK.

The reason this is an issue in my setup is that my source is Sonos and I'm going all digital all the way to the speakers, i.e. volume is at max level at source. This is also the reason why the standby does not work; Sonos is always on and it seems that even though there is nothing playing, the speakers interpret silence as signal. At least the speakers are not going to standby even though ISS is activated.

Best regards, Eki