Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

SAM Sub with Analog Main Speakers

szlovi, modified 5 Years ago.

SAM Sub with Analog Main Speakers

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 11/2/11 Recent Posts
Dear Ikka,
I have bought a 7350A sub under 8040A monitors becuse I wanted to enjoy the benefit of the GLM system at least at the critical bass region. I activated the second bass roll-off switch (-4dB) on the 8040s which sounds to be good. But I would be really happy to make a full range mesaurement with the GLM kit. This would be a great help to make settings for the whole system. Is this possible or this would be a new software potentional?
Thank You! Peter
1038, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: SAM Sub with Analog Main Speakers

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
This isn't possible Peter,

the test tone emitted by Genelec SAM products is from an internal tone generator in each speaker, the 8040's have no tone generator.

Now would be a good time to ask Ilkka what would be the best way to set the correct phase for the sub with your 8040s
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: SAM Sub with Analog Main Speakers

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hello Peter,

Congratulation on your new purchase! The 7350 is designed to be used with 8320 and 8330 SAM monitors which are required to make the bass management work properly. With other monitors, such as 8040, there is no bass management which means that the integration between the subwoofer and the monitors might not be perfect. You can and should apply -4 dB or even -6 dB bass roll-off setting on the speakers to roll-off the low frequencies so that they don't overlap that much with the subwoofer. The phase setting should be done by playing an external signal (85 Hz tone) through the system and adjusting the phase from the GLM. The setting which gives you most output implicates the correct phase.

GLM measurement and calibration works only with monitors and subwoofers which are GLM compatible. It can't be expanded to other monitors or subwoofers with software upgrade. GLM calibration needs hardware support from the monitors and the subwoofers.