Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

DBM Architecture

orcoaffamato, modified 5 Years ago.

DBM Architecture

Youngling Posts: 13 Join Date: 11/21/14 Recent Posts
Hi,

Instead of adding a 7040 subwoofer to my M030s, I'm considering to replace them with a pair of 8330 and add a 7350 subwoofer (and let GLM 2.0 software calibrate my untreated bedroom).

I was checking the Bass Management User Guide and I saw that 8330 + 7350 can use the DBM architecture instead of the CBM one.
When I play, I usually send the audio signal from my Nord C2D to my RME Fireface 802 and then from it to my M030s.
With DBM Architecture, if I understood correctly, the audio signal routing will be almost the same: from the Nord C2D to the RME Fireface 802 and then, for example, from 802's analog 1 & 2 audio outs to the 8330s and from 802's analog 3 audio out to the 7350. So I won't need to connect the 8330s to the 7350, am I right?

Nord C2D signal is mono (that's why I was thinking to connect only analog 3 audio out to 7350's analog 1 audio in), but if I have a stereo signal, should I connect L and R outs to 7350 analog audio in 1 and 2?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 5 Years ago.

Re: DBM Architecture

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
That is correct, with DBM, you don't need to route the signal through the subwoofer any more. Obviously you still can do it and therefore all our new subs have output connectors for easier cabling. But if you want you can wire both speakers and subwoofer directly from your source.

When it comes to stereo/mono, your can configure your RME mixer to output both L & R signals to single channel so that you need only one cable.
orcoaffamato, modified 5 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 13 Join Date: 11/21/14 Recent Posts
When it comes to stereo/mono, your can configure your RME mixer to output both L & R signals to single channel so that you need only one cable.

Yes I can send left and right signals into a single channel with Totalmix FX.

Ty for your reply! :)
talex, modified 5 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 41 Join Date: 8/27/15 Recent Posts
That is correct, with DBM, you don't need to route the signal through the subwoofer any more. Obviously you still can do it and therefore all our new subs have output connectors for easier cabling. But if you want you can wire both speakers and subwoofer directly from your source.

Hi,

I am a bit puzzled in relationship to the cabling in the case of DBM, as the DBM guide from the genelec website did not clear things up for me.

1. In the case of DBM, if the monitor signal no longer goes to the monitor from the subwoofer and is cabled directly from the source, than how is the LF content of the monitors get sent back to the subwoofer? I thought the subwoofer would need to gather LF content from all the monitors and play it together with the LFE part.

2. In the case of DBM and 5.1 or 7.1, even bigger subwoofers like 7360 and 7370 only have one digital in.
Can a single aes/ebu digital in accept a 5.1 or 7.1 signal? I thought it was limited to 2.0 channels trough one aes/ebu connection.
How would the cabling look for a more complex setup - let's say 5x8350 and 2x7370 assuming for example i have a PCIe AES/EBU card with AES/EBU outputs.

Thanks!!

Hi,

I am a bit puzzled in relationship to the cabling in the case of DBM, as the DBM guide from the genelec website did not clear things up for me.

1. In the case of DBM, if the monitor signal no longer goes to the monitor from the subwoofer and is cabled directly from the source, than how is the LF content of the monitors get sent back to the subwoofer? I thought the subwoofer would need to gather LF content from all the monitors and play it together with the LFE part.

Like I wrote earlier, you can either route the signal through the subwoofer or have each channel connected directly to the monitor and sub. Usually sources have only one connector per channel so you would need to use an Y splitter on each channel.

2. In the case of DBM and 5.1 or 7.1, even bigger subwoofers like 7360 and 7370 only have one digital in.
Can a single aes/ebu digital in accept a 5.1 or 7.1 signal? I thought it was limited to 2.0 channels trough one aes/ebu connection.
How would the cabling look for a more complex setup - let's say 5x8350 and 2x7370 assuming for example i have a PCIe AES/EBU card with AES/EBU outputs.

Thanks!!

If you need to connect more than 2 AES/EBU channels, you will need this device: http://www.genelec.com/studio-monitors/ ... -interface

Hi,

Like I wrote earlier, you can either route the signal through the subwoofer or have each channel connected directly to the monitor and sub. Usually sources have only one connector per channel so you would need to use an Y splitter on each channel.

Thanks!!

If you need to connect more than 2 AES/EBU channels, you will need this device: http://www.genelec.com/studio-monitors/ ... -interface

Ok, let me see if i understand it right.

Let's say i have 7.1 source material. That would amount to 8 channels of sound that would require 4 AES/EBU connections.
Using a PCIe AES/EBU interface, I would connect 4 AES/EBU outputs to the 9301A AES/EBU Multichannel Interface.

I would than connect each 9301A AES/EBU output to 2 of the 7.1 DSP monitors by daisy chaining 2 to each AES/EBU output.

With this cabling, would that mean that 9301A AES/EBU Multichannel Interface does bass management? So collecting the LF from all the channels, adding the LFE channel and than sending it for centralised playback on the subwoofer?
Or would I need to perform bass management somewhere at the source level and send the exact content to be played by each 7.1 already processed?

This is the confusing part for me. I dont understand how the subwoofer gets to collect all LF from the monitors and it's own LFE channel with this distributed model of cabling.
It's clear that the monitors are more than able to simply drop LF content by themselves.

Second thing is, there doesn't seem to be any user manual for the 9301A on the Genelec website :-)

9301A has a subwoofer digital output which is basically a sum of all AES/EBU inputs (sum & LFE) which you will connect to subwoofer's digital input. Subwoofer will then apply low pass filter to the sum signal and play LFE as it is.

9301A operating manual will be added soon! :)

Thank you Ilkka, crystal clear now! Looking forward for the manual.

So actually a 7.2 or even 7.4 setup would function in a similar fashion - all subwoofer would be daisy chianed to that one output of the 9310 and would alll play the same signal for increased db output.

Two more questions:
- is lfe channel added to the sum as is or does the +10db for lfe channel rule apply?
- i am now looking into PCIE AES/EBU interfaces; i've seen that the mixers that come with such cards can perform the channel summing you've mentioned for the subwoofer output; from what you are saying, the non-lfe monitor connections on the 9310 seem to be just passthroughs to the monitors - when would you recommend using something like the 9310 instead of just doing the subwoofer sum on the PCIE interface? is there any other function performed by the 9310?

LFE is not part of the sum signal, it is in the other AES/EBU sub frame. LFE is passed through as it is, you can apply +10 dB using the dip switch or from the GLM, if required.

If you can find and use such interface, then you have no use for the 9301A. :)