Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Best way to connect 8330

roddus, modified 6 Years ago.

Best way to connect 8330

Youngling Posts: 15 Join Date: 2/13/16 Recent Posts
I am due to take delivery of a pair of 8330s with SAM next week and was wanting to understand the best way to hook them up to my focusrite saffire pro 24.

I have never used digital audio before.

Could someone please explain the best way to hook these up please?

Re: Best way to connect 8330

i mean in terms of the best audio way, not SAM set up, which I understand!
ilkka-rissanen, modified 6 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
http://www.genelec.com/answers-library

Can I use S/PDIF instead of AES/EBU digital audio?

The SAM Systems digital inputs have be designed for AES/EBU signals. S/P-DIF and AES 3-id signals may be used but the cable length from the audio source to the monitor must be short, preferably less than 2 meters, and the use of an impedance converter is recommended. The impedance converter allows the 75-ohm S/P-DIF source to work properly with a 110-ohm AES/EBU receiver.

Thanks for that info Ilkka.

Can you confirm the exact signal path please?

Is it:

Audio Interface > SPDIF > Impedance converter > Monitor 1 > XLR > Monitor 2

Can you recommend an impedance converter?

Why does the SPDIF cable need to be short?

That is correct.

http://www.thomann.de/fi/neutrik_naditbncm.htm?

S/PDIF cable needs to be short due to the impedance mismatch between S/PDIF and AES/EBU. Short cable is less prone to signal errors.

Thanks again!

I have had the 8330s running since last night and am massively impressed by them.

With regards the cable length, is it 2m total length from source to monitor 1 or just the SPDIF to converter stage?

Would having different lengths of XLR cable affect sound or does the GLM account for that?

With regards the cable length, is it 2m total length from source to monitor 1 or just the SPDIF to converter stage?

It's from the source to the impedance transformer. From the transformer to the speaker the cable length is not limited.

Would having different lengths of XLR cable affect sound or does the GLM account for that?

Different cable lengths do not make any difference what so ever.

Can you confirm which SPDIF cable to buy please? I am about to purchase the impedance converter and XLR cables but am unsure which SPDIF cable I need. Would the Pro Snake 28072 do the job?

Can you confirm which SPDIF cable to buy please? I am about to purchase the impedance converter and XLR cables but am unsure which SPDIF cable I need. Would the Pro Snake 28072 do the job?

That seems to be BNC to BNC cable. What type of connector does your source device have? If it's RCA, you need RCA to BNC cable. Those are rare so easier to get RCA to RCA cable and RCA to BNC adapter.

It has an s/p-dif out as per the diagram above. I was finding it difficult to get an s/p-dif to bcn as it appeared from that converter that it took a BCN in.

http://www.thomann.de/fi/pro_snake_bnca ... dapter.htm?

With this you can use any RCA to RCA cable.
alexpen, modified 6 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 27 Join Date: 9/15/14 Recent Posts
Hi Ilkka,

having mostly the same setup here.
How about this one
http://www.thomann.de/de/pro_snake_aes_ ... male_3.htm

to directly connect SPDIF RCA to the first 8330 box?

Alex

PS:
oh, I see in the comment, it looks like this cable will not work. One still need a NEUTRIK convertor.

Hi Ilkka,

having mostly the same setup here.
How about this one
http://www.thomann.de/de/pro_snake_aes_ ... male_3.htm

to directly connect SPDIF RCA to the first 8330 box?

You can try that but our recommendation is to keep the cable under 2 meters if you are not using an impedance transformer. If you don't experience any problems with 3 meter cable, it's fine to use.

I just received all the necessary kit to use the digital inputs on the 8330s and must say that I very, very happy with the result!

One other question. Would you recommend running the setup with me sitting in the room?
daiyama, modified 6 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 73 Join Date: 1/4/16 Recent Posts
I think the instructions say that you should not be in the listening position when performing the room calibration.
If you can be outside the room depends a little bit of the size of your room, you have 5 seconds between pressing start and the actual start of the measurement. :-)