Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Creating a digital 5.1 System with SAM monitors (?)

ensoniq, modified 6 Years ago.

Creating a digital 5.1 System with SAM monitors (?)

Padawan Posts: 47 Join Date: 5/30/15 Recent Posts
from my understanding the XLR AES/ EBU input of the SAM monitors are 2 channel only. How can I setup a 5.1 system with this limitation ? Do I have to connect 2x2x1 AES/ EBU Channel by wiring 2 seperate MOnitor Stereos and a sinlge Sub ?

Maybe I have the wrong manual (?) but I cannot find a setup instruction for a native digital 5.1 system with delay- and volume correction

thanks for your support
digipete, modified 6 Years ago.

Re: Creating a digital 5.1 System with SAM monitors (?)

Padawan Posts: 99 Join Date: 6/18/11 Recent Posts
You just need a soundcard with multiple channels of AES3 using either single channel/cable (dual wire) or dual channel/cable (single wire).

Check these threads and find more around the forums:

Surround digital (AES) feed for DSP speakers?

Building surround sound home theater with DSP speakers?

Recommendations for USB to AES interface for 8260A
ensoniq, modified 6 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 47 Join Date: 5/30/15 Recent Posts
thanks Pete , so there is no possible way to automatically room-correct a digital 5.1 multi Channel 8260 System with the GLM 2 Software but without a multichannel AES I/O Subwoofer from Genelec correct ?
digipete, modified 6 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 99 Join Date: 6/18/11 Recent Posts
thanks Pete , so there is no possible way to automatically room-correct a digital 5.1 multi Channel 8260 System with the GLM 2 Software but without a multichannel AES I/O Subwoofer from Genelec correct ?

All SAM monitors has Autocal DSP room compensation filters built into the monitor unit.
If you want one or more subs in the setup, they should be SAM subs.

Note that Autocal provides the biggest value at the lowest frequencies where the room reverberation is biggest.

With the right software, you could direct the .1 channel to one or more of your front 8260's and run a 5.0 setup.
I would then choose the center channel, but would naturally prefer a SAM sub.

I run the stereo part of my setup without the sub, as calibrated 8260's actually cover from 19hz in my livingroom.
All other channels run through the 7271 sub.

PS. Is it possible to run an external room correction software for a sub that is not Genelec SAM?
Yes, but it easily become insanely complicated and what is the point?
Use 8351's as fronts rather than 8260's unless you have a very large room and use the saved money for one or more SAM subs.