Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Back wall cancellation - distance

folan, modified 5 Years ago.

Back wall cancellation - distance

Padawan Posts: 54 Join Date: 10/13/14 Recent Posts
In Genelec’s monitor set-up guide 2015 it says to avoid back wall cancellation the distance of the monitor from the wall should be less than 60cm. This distance is measured from the front baffle of the speaker (woofer) or from the back side (bass reflex)?
1038, modified 6 Years ago.

Re: Back wall cancellation - distance

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
Hi Folan,

the 60cm distance refers to the front baffle of the speaker.
ilkka-rissanen, modified 6 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
http://www.mh-audio.nl/CancellationFreq.asp

Perhaps this page helps to understand the phenomena. It also includes a nifty calculator. :)
folan, modified 6 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 54 Join Date: 10/13/14 Recent Posts
Thanks Steve and Illka!
mb-genelec, modified 6 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 10 Join Date: 5/21/13 Recent Posts
@Ilkka and 1038
Hi Folan,
the 60cm distance refers to the front baffle of the speaker.

Yes, according to the manual it is the distance from the front baffle. I just would like to note that it does not make much sense to indicate 5-60 cm front baffle distance from the wall for a speaker as the 8260 with 35 cm depth. Ok.. you can mount it in the wall to achieve above defined distances inferior to 35 cm, but then the wall-mount set of the 8260 apparently at least does not take the above distance recommendations into account. So for me the manual is still at least not very clear at this point...
Also, this would mean that the 8260 need to be placed in any case not more than 25 cm distance from the speakers back to the wall. I actually have better result with larger distances, around 50-60 cm (back to wall), despite of the manuals recommendations, but I have to say that there are room corners that may influence the placing in my case...
Cheers, Michael
udayan, modified 6 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 38 Join Date: 6/6/13 Recent Posts
Hi,

Concerning the distance of the front baffle to the back wall of 5 cm, my understanding is that, in case you include the speaker into the wall, the front baffle should be 5 cm further to the back wall.

I agree with you, it is not very clear and I had to "brainstorm myself" to translate the placement's advices into distances of the back of my 8260 and the back wall.

In my room, the speakers are very close to the back wall and the results are very good. They are also quite away from corners.

Cheers

Udayan

Hi,

I believe there is a misunderstanding. Our instructions say: "The monitor needs a minimum clearance of 0.05 m to the wall to ensure full output from the rear reflex port."

Hi Ilkka,

Thank you for the explanation !!!

But in case of an in wall set-up ? what would be the instructions ?

Cheers,

Udayan

Hi Ilkka,

Thank you for the explanation !!!

But in case of an in wall set-up ? what would be the instructions ?

Cheers,

Udayan

What sort of instructions do you mean?

http://www.genelec.com/answers-library -> Acoustic and Measurements has general instructions about flush-mount installation.

Hi Ilkka,

Thank's for the bible !!! I have now all the advices I could wish.

Cheers

Udayan