Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Some questions on 8351 and GLM 2.0

nicholas-g, modified 6 Years ago.

Some questions on 8351 and GLM 2.0

Padawan Posts: 29 Join Date: 11/4/15 Recent Posts
I have a few questions about AutoCal and general operations that I can not find answers to in the manuals I have read.

1) On the AutoCal screen there is a check-box under Microphone Correction called "Default". If that is unchecked an entry box becomes available for a value to be entered. What is the value that should be entered there?

2) Under calibration Mode there is a check-box "Each front Left-Right pair shares the same equalizer settings." My room is not perfectly symmetrical, so I assume I should uncheck that box, correct?

3) I'm a bit confused about how to send the speakers to sleep. I have the wireless remote and holding the mute button down does nothing (I think the manual is wrong on this function). If I power down my PC running the GLM software, do the speakers go sleep if they receive no digital signal? Is the time before they go to sleep based on the ISS Power Saving Setting?

4) If the LED is off does that indicate that the speaker is in sleep mode?

5) What does a flashing green LED on the front of the 8351 indicate?

6) When the calibration tones are generated by the speaker should you leave the room? I just wonder if the presence of a person in the room affects the calibration results.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Nicholas
ilkka-rissanen, modified 6 Years ago.

Re: Some questions on 8351 and GLM 2.0

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
I have a few questions about AutoCal and general operations that I can not find answers to in the manuals I have read.

1) On the AutoCal screen there is a check-box under Microphone Correction called "Default". If that is unchecked an entry box becomes available for a value to be entered. What is the value that should be entered there?

2) Under calibration Mode there is a check-box "Each front Left-Right pair shares the same equalizer settings." My room is not perfectly symmetrical, so I assume I should uncheck that box, correct?

3) I'm a bit confused about how to send the speakers to sleep. I have the wireless remote and holding the mute button down does nothing (I think the manual is wrong on this function). If I power down my PC running the GLM software, do the speakers go sleep if they receive no digital signal? Is the time before they go to sleep based on the ISS Power Saving Setting?

4) If the LED is off does that indicate that the speaker is in sleep mode?

5) What does a flashing green LED on the front of the 8351 indicate?

6) When the calibration tones are generated by the speaker should you leave the room? I just wonder if the presence of a person in the room affects the calibration results.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Nicholas

Hi,

1. Value is the serial number of your microphone. It's printed on the body of the mic. The default value is an average correction which works really well with all microphones, but if you want to use the individual calibration curve of your personal microphone, you should enter its serial number.

2. I would measure, test and listen both options as it is really difficult to say from here which one would give you better end result. You can easily make two different groups and switch between them.

3. Manual for the wireless controller is a bit vague, I admit. The standby function works only with F One, F Two, 5051A subwoofers and 6000A tube speaker, but not with speakers and subwoofers connected through the GLM network. ISS mode activates automatically after the user specified time delay when the speaker doesn't receive analogue or digital signal, and the GLM software isn't active.

4. Yes, standby mode or fully powered off.

5. http://www.genelec.com/sites/default/fi ... nual_0.pdf Page 35 describes LED indications.

6. It depends on the room size and other parameters but generally it is not required to leave the room during calibration. Obviously one should stay as far as possible from the speakers and the microphone during calibration.