Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Few questions about 8351

nicholas-g, modified 6 Years ago.

Few questions about 8351

Padawan Posts: 29 Join Date: 11/4/15 Recent Posts
I'm thinking about investing in a new home stereo and a pair of 8351 are top of the short list, based on internet research.

I thought I would ask a few questions here: -

1) Is anyone here using a pair of 8351 as their home stereo? Are you happy with the sound quality? Any issues to date?

2) What is the number of the official Genelec stand for the 8351? I've found 2 possible stands online -
"Genelec 8000-400 Design Floor Stand for 8000-Series" and "Genelec 8000-409B - Floor Speaker Stand for 8000 Series Nearfield Monitors"

Thanks for your help,
Nicholas
1038, modified 6 Years ago.

Re: Few questions about 8351

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
Hi Nicholas,

we have sold quite a few 8260 and 8351's into the home for hi-fi use.

They work flawlessly, they also give you the opportunity to use either digital or analog inputs. I can see the 8351 take over the bulk of the sales from 8260's in the home, the imaging they provide is breathtaking. The 8260 goes a bit deeper and a bit louder, but the 8351's in room are typically flat to below 30Hz and can play much louder than most hi-fi speakers. Have you had the opportunity to listen to a pair yet?? To fully understand how good they are you should A/B them against something else....

Genelec are working on a new brochure catalog with 8351 options but the 8000-400 is suitable, and works well in the home.

Thanks for the info Steve. I'm am trying to setup an audition, but even though I live in fourth most populous city in the United States (Houston, Texas) I have to travel to Dallas to hear a pair.

I assume they they can operate on 110V or 240V without modification?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 6 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts

I assume they they can operate on 110V or 240V without modification?

Hi,

That is incorrect. They are only meant for specific voltage and therefore we have different versions available around the world. It is possible to use step up/down transformer though if the mains voltage doesn't match with the speaker's requirement.

Interesting. If I moved back to Europe is it possible to send speakers back to the factory to have the voltage changed from 110V to 220/240V?

Thanks,
Nicholas
ilkka-rissanen, modified 6 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Interesting. If I moved back to Europe is it possible to send speakers back to the factory to have the voltage changed from 110V to 220/240V?

Thanks,
Nicholas

Hi,

You should contact your local distributor and their service centre for more information about this. But yes, it is possible.

http://www.genelec.com/where-buy
ensoniq, modified 6 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 47 Join Date: 5/30/15 Recent Posts
Hi Nicholas,

I did Demos with both 8351 and 8260 in my living room for a whole week ( 40 qm / EU / I guess this is around 420 ft2 in the US).

They are absolutly stunning loudspeakers in neutrality, transparancy and transiense response - the 8531 is extremly fast responding and I felt it is about 10-15 % tighter in bass response , compared to the 8260 . They are super dry and fast sounding but never clinical or cold. However the 8260 goes a bit deeper and louder and you can say Goodbye to your subwoofers.

In this price range (including the GLM environment) you will not find a better loudspeaker. I was looking for 9 months and did tons of Demos in my living room (Neumann KH, Barefoot, PMC, Quested and finally .. the Genelecs)

best investment I´ve done since 10 years in home hifi/ and cinema . Finally I purchased the 8260 because of the subwoofer frequency aspect . But I would have liked the 8531 better because of the form factor and super dry tigtness of bass response.