Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

8020 and 8030 stereo image and low volume use

suboceanic, modified 6 Years ago.

8020 and 8030 stereo image and low volume use

Youngling Posts: 3 Join Date: 10/18/15 Recent Posts
Hello; i recently got a pair of 8030, i had the chance to listen to them A/B with the 8020.
I got the 8030 cause every one said is a better speaker. but i think that the mids are more straight forward on the 8020 and somehow they have a better open sound / stereo image. but sometimes the 8020 could sound a little too bright.
Do you have a similar experiences?
i also listen and mix at a VERY low level due to tinnitus , what do you think is a better choice for low volume use?
i still have the chance to change for the 8020 but not for long.
Thank you.
Humberto. :)
1038, modified 6 Years ago.

Re: 8020 and 8030 stereo image and low volume use

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
The 8030 due to its greater LF output is more sensitive to room placement. If the 8030's are on your desktop, simply place their cardboard box under them as a temporary stand and listen to the difference, let me know what you find...
suboceanic, modified 5 Years ago.

Thank you for your reply.
i placed this things under the 8030 to help with the placement. i will let you know how the stereo and 3d image change.
please fell free to post any comments impressions related to the stereo and 3d image and low volumen performance btw 820 and 8030.
THANK YOU!
here is my set up. please note that i am outside my country and this is just and improvised studio.
1038, modified 6 Years ago.

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
Try and get the speakers above the dado rail in your photo, the box sitting in it's vertical position should come close to doing this. How solid is the wall behind the speakers, is it drywall or something more solid? If it is solid, you'll want to set -6dB Bass Tilt.

If you have the budget, i'd recommend the new 8300 series, they will help overcome room response issues, and if you travel and use temporary setups regularly they will be worth their weight in gold...
suboceanic, modified 6 Years ago.

Ok i will try that, besides the guy at the store said that is too late to make the change. So i will have to stick with these.