Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Recommended Crossover Freq. 8330A + 7350A

geco, modified 6 Years ago.

Recommended Crossover Freq. 8330A + 7350A

Youngling Posts: 9 Join Date: 10/14/15 Recent Posts
Hi *,
I recently bought the 8330A & the 7350A. Tomorrow I am going to set them up for the very first time. Then I will register the products.

Here my questions:
1.) What´s the recommended crossover frequency in this setup?
2.) When should I depart from that recommended crossover freq. and why? How to determine best?
3.) Are there any information/tips/further reading provided in the manuals (Monitors or Software manual)? I didn´t found yet.

Thanks in advance & best wishes
Geco :ugeek:
1038, modified 6 Years ago.

Re: Recommended Crossover Freq. 8330A + 7350A

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
Congrats Geco, ou're going to love them... i have commented next to your questions...

Hi *,
I recently bought the 8330A & the 7350A. Tomorrow I am going to set them up for the very first time. Then I will register the products.

Here my questions:
1.) What´s the recommended crossover frequency in this setup?

85Hz is the default x-over.. And usually the best place to start

2.) When should I depart from that recommended crossover freq. and why? How to determine best?

Once GLM has calibrated your system, double click on each products icon to see what your in-room response is. If you have large cancellations in the LF this is when you consider adjusting the x-over.

3.) Are there any information/tips/further reading provided in the manuals (Monitors or Software manual)? I didn´t found yet.

The best thing you can do is simply play with the software and experiment. I always use my measurements to help define the speaker and listener positions, so do a calibration then double click each speaker to see it's in-room performance, look at the red line and take careful note of the cancellations in the green line, these can't be fixed with EQ, the only thing that will fix them, is moving speakers/listener and bringing in acoustic treatments. So when you see these cancellations start moving stuff around and get a better result, the wall behind your speakers and the floor are usually the main problems, so move your speakers up and down and left and right, also don't forget to move your listening position to see what that does.... Focus on the 8330's first get them measuring well as full range speakers, then bring the sub into play. The cool thing about this is that it only costs you time and you will learn a LOT about your room...

Thanks in advance & best wishes
Geco :ugeek:

Thank you very much... now it is time to unbox my boxes :D

Okay... I need to return the sub.. the mechanical flutter is louder than the actual bass played ^^... this 7350A must be defect... damn... :cry:
ilkka-rissanen, modified 6 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Okay... I need to return the sub.. the mechanical flutter is louder than the actual bass played ^^... this 7350A must be defect... damn... :cry:

Hello,

Can you tell me more details about your system and problem so that I could help? What kind of signal you are playing while experiencing this noise?

Hi Ilkka,
first I run the Signal from iMac5K out into Mackie Big Knob then into sub 7350A then to the satellites 8330A. Satellites worked well. System in 85Hz crossover. Second I switched the sub to my Mackie Onyx 1640i Ctrl.Room out. Same issue.

Kind of Signal +4 and/or -10db Rap/Techo/HipHop/Sia... whatever ... the "noise/vibrations/extreme resonance/flutter" is always and independend of signal strength and sound material played... okay... the louder, the louder the noise generated... the sub is 7 cm off the wall

How could I describe the sound generated... hmm... it sounds like overdrive... as if something which should be moving internally, could not move.. is stuck and is resonancing the case... or something is hitting the box in bass frequency? I dont know....

Even the calibrating sweep sound is not played without that fluttering respectively resonancing the box generating +20db measured curve for several frequencies ^^ ... lil bit mutch?... okay... my room is asymetric and has flutter hall...

Tomorrow I drive to the reseller and get another bass in exchange.. but this time I listen to it first... last time after purchase we drove to the resellers stock and picked up the parcels externally...
So then I need to unregister the returning sub I think? okay... tomorrow I know more...

Cheers,
Geco

So =) .... got a new 7350A one up and running nicely without fluttering/noise.

Nice! The other one is going to return from my dealer.

Best wishes,
Geco