8040b tweeter problem + driver? not sure how/why it happened

paralyzer, modified 6 Years ago.

8040b tweeter problem + driver? not sure how/why it happened

Youngling Posts: 4 Join Date: 7/19/15 Recent Posts
windows 7 home
Genelecs 8040b
focusrite scarlett 6i6
Cubase 8

Something weird happened just a few days ago when I woke up. I turned my sound card on then I turned on the monitors and I notice that my left monitor lost it's high sound. I hear mid muddy sounds coming through my left monitor. I turned the monitor and sound card off and on and it a few times and I got it to work. Everything sounded normal after that. The next few days it happened again... So I did the same thing and it worked.. but this time the sound screwed up again after 5 mins. I turned it on and off and it worked again... then after 10 mins the sound got muddy again. Now it's muddy completely even if I tried turning it off and on.

This started happening on thursday when there was a windows update before I went to bed. I'm not sure if the sound card or driver screwed up my monitor but this is actually really weird and it confuses me on how this even happened. I always turn my volume not so loud (Below half). I changed the cables and switch the outputs and monitors but it seem like the left monitor is the only one affected. It's even more weird that every time I turn on the sound card on and off it works and starts to sound more clear again... But now after a few days before it started happening, it's completely muddy throughout.

I got it brand new and I've only had it for like 8 months now.

Can someone please help me, this is actually depressing because I actually look after them carefully and suddenly this situation just decides to occur out of no where without an explanation.

What should I do?? to get this fixed :(
mattspl, modified 6 Years ago.

Re: 8040b tweeter problem + driver? not sure how/why it happ

Youngling Posts: 16 Join Date: 7/18/15 Recent Posts
Do you have an xlr to 3.5 Jack cable so you could try and run your phone direct into the 8040's? This will tell you if its definitely a speaker problem or not.
Just be careful to start with the phone volume at zero.

Cheers
Matt

Hey i didn't run it on my phone... BUT
I plugged the xlr into my DDJ - SX mixer and IT WORKS OMG!!

Okay I'm not really confused how the sound card or computer makes only 1 genelec ( which is weird only 1 of them is effected ).

So now I can confirm that my genelecs tweeter isn't screwed. Not sure if windows update or driver but it sound muddy connected to the focusrite scarlett 6i6 atm.

Thanks for the suggestion Matt it really made my day when it tested it out.

What would you suggest me to do if we now know it's not the Genelecs? Just because I'm very new at this and I don't want to screw up anything!

Glad to hear your 8040 is working perfectly :)

I'm afraid I'm not well up on computers and software though, I'm more of a Hifi enthusiast, but use active monitors these days as opposed to traditional Hifi.

Cheers
Matt

I just woke up this morning and it stopped working now :O but then this time I also plugged it into mixer and it doesn't work either :/ sigh this is confusing me so much

11am
I have this feeling it has something to do with the tweeter driver because I turned it on and off 10 times in 30 seconds for it to work for only 2 mins for once.... fuck I don't know man it's so frustrating.

2pm
It just started working again what the hell..

Do you have any solutions or anything I could do.

I think you should contact your local Genelec dealer/service tech and get them to have a look at the speaker.

Cheers
Matt