Message Boards

What's your favorite frequency curve on your GLM 2.0?

thesky555, modified 6 Years ago.

What's your favorite frequency curve on your GLM 2.0?

Padawan Posts: 48 Join Date: 1/26/15 Recent Posts
I hope to hear a lot of experiences here on how you set your GLM 2.0, when you want your system to sound utterly fantastic, rather than have a straight line frequency output.

If you want to impress a customer, rather than analyze a mix, what do you do?

I use a pair of Genelec 8351As as my home stereo system, and I find that the automatic EQ calibration does NOT give me the sound that I’m looking for. It’s way too cold and clinical, and I suppose many other home users will feel the same. Most home stereos have a lot of excess bass because of room acoustics. We are used to not entirely flat frequency lines. In my room the GLM 2.0 automatic calibration reduces the entire bass frequency band with an average of 10dB to get a flat curve. That is a lot!

I’ve only just started experimenting with this, but my initial results are that I get a vastly improved home stereo sound when I reduce the top frequencies with 3 dB.

One question here is what frequency to type into this filter. If I ask for 800 Hz all frequencies above 800 Hz will be reduced to -3 dB. The output reduction will start gradually with a break-off point at around 140 Hz.

If I type “2000 Hz” into this filter all frequencies above this frequency will be flat -3 dB, and the output reduction will start at around 400.

There is no option to have slight tilt of the entire audio band, but perhaps this effect can be reached by using more than one low pass filter.

Another pet sound signature of mine is that I like to have a slight peak at around 150 Hz. 1½ dB extra here, in my experience, make a system sound more “alive and kicking”. This isn't deep bas, but it gives the impression that the bass and drums want to jump out of the system and attack you. Great for dance music.

This effect isn’t easy to get on the GLM 2.0, because there isn't an option to add a bit of power to a frequency. One has to get around this by lowering the surrounding frequencies instead. I’ll definitely need some experimenting to get this right. Does anybody out there have a tip?

The very low end I also might like to reduce somewhat in my system. Even after the automatic calibration I have a 5 dB peak at 30 Hz. It sounds OK, but it makes me intuitively play my music at lower volumes than I otherwise would.

It is strange to me that the automatic calibration is so far off a straight frequency curve. It only takes a couple of minutes to straighten out the curve much more by hand. Very easy.

If you go to any audiophile newsgroup for home stereo aficionados you’ll see endless debates on which cable to match with which DAC etc. to get just the right sound. The Genelec GLM 2.0 doesn’t eliminate all that but it does add an extremely important extra dimension. When adding a digital filter to the list of options, the to-die-for combination might be completely different.

Genelec GLM 2.0 and this way of digital tweaking your system HAS TO BE the future of hi-end home audio. So let the sharing of experiences begin! Thank you.
1038, modified 6 Years ago.

Re: What's your favorite frequency curve on your GLM 2.0?

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
I'd like to see your frequency response plot before commenting.... You can stretch the plot to virtually fill your screen, post up both speakers plots :)
thesky555, modified 6 Years ago.

Hi 1038, great to hear from you again!

I’ve uploaded plots of before and after tweaking the automated GLM calibration.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/emloukuj1xqq ... 9Ty0a?dl=0

I have used the original calibration and added the following changes:
I have added a low pass filter -3dB at 1200 Hz

I have added a high pass filter -1.5dB at 40 Hz
One more high pass filter -1.5 dB at 60 Hz.

Also, I have moved one correction of a peak which GLM had placed at 32.5 Hz. It made a big difference to move it to 30 Hz.

What do you think? It's a "work in progress".
thesky555, modified 4 Years ago.

Oh, I forgot. I made a few more changes that I forgot to mention. Primarily raising the Q on some of the filters.

Here are the settings as the GLM sets them automatically.

And here are my modified settings.

(A tip: After I’ve created a group using the automated calibration I pick the “Group” tap and click “Duplicate group” a few times. This way I can keep the original recommended GLM settings and the original frequency band measurements in all my new groups, and I can create an array of different filter options without having to calibrate all over again. It is then very easy to switch between them and compare the effects of each.)
1038, modified 6 Years ago.

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
Your in room measurements are really nice....

I don't think you'll find that you'll be changing your curves alot, As every room is radically different from each other and each listeners expectations of what it should sound like are wildly different, i think you'll find most users will do similar to you and tweak to find that sweet spot for them personally.

We have just installed some 8351's into a clients study as his work music playback system at home, the room was fairly empty with long RT times, we simply ended up creating a -8dB @ 30Hz high pass filter, he was very happy.

I hope Genelec will re instate frequency tilt options as they did with GLM 1.X. I don't know if you recall, but the very first GLM didn't have the tilt options, they were added in various upgrades, as Genelec have been trying to get this out as soon as possible, i assume that the focus was in other areas.

I find it interesting that you reduced your LF when you said that they sounded clinical and you pointed out the LF -10dB cut. In fairly bright or untreated rooms, i'll create a low pass filter between 6K - 8K and take -3dB out. But this is all SO room dependent, that comparing filters might be an interesting discussion point, but i don't think and don't recommend users apply random filters that others have used.

Once again, your in room measurement is really nice, congrats :)
joerggermany, modified 6 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 36 Join Date: 12/23/13 Recent Posts
It would be nice if the user was able to create an own target curve for the Glm calibration.
In most modern rooms a slightly falling curve (6db from 30 to 20.000Hz) is nice
for hifi use. In other systems (Trinnov, Dirac, Acourate and Antimode) you can run flat
curve or alternative target curves.

jörg