Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

8000 VS G series

folan, modified 7 Years ago.

8000 VS G series

Padawan Posts: 54 Join Date: 10/13/14 Recent Posts
I was looking at the specs of 8000 and G series and they have identical values and frequency response. Sonically is there any difference between the 8000 and G series?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 7 Years ago.

Re: 8000 VS G series

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi folan,

They are mostly identical, 8010 and G One having the most difference between them.

Hi Ilkka,

But the G series is meant for hi-fi installations, how they can have identical frequency response with 8000? I thought 8000 were for professional use, identifying flaws in the mix. Hi-fi is for pleasure listening, hiding partly details from the mix and making things prettier.

Hi,

What is GENELEC's goal when designing an active monitor?

http://www.genelec.com/faq/general/60-w ... e-monitor/

These same design principles apply to all of our models whether they are intended for home/hifi users, installation or professional users.

Hi Ilkka,

I must admit it sounds strange that your Hi-Fi and professional loudspeakers share the same principles. In a living room or in a cafe-pub the goal is to hear the music as pretty as possible and not identifying flaws in the mix.
I suppose a pro loudspeaker would sound “uglier” in a “difficult” environment than a Hi-Fi speaker. Strange that you share the same philosophy for two different environments.
digipete, modified 7 Years ago.

Strange expectations.

Padawan Posts: 99 Join Date: 6/18/11 Recent Posts
Hi Folan

I must admit it always sounds strange to me that some people expect Hi-Fi and professional loudspeakers to be made according to different principles.

I have been on a journey to find equipment that delivers exactly what was recorded.
Genelec strives hard to give me an exact representation - no more, no less.

Thanks Genelec

Hi Ilkka,

I must admit it sounds strange that your Hi-Fi and professional loudspeakers share the same principles. In a living room or in a cafe-pub the goal is to hear the music as pretty as possible and not identifying flaws in the mix.
I suppose a pro loudspeaker would sound “uglier” in a “difficult” environment than a Hi-Fi speaker. Strange that you share the same philosophy for two different environments.

Hi,

Sorry to say but that is completely and utterly flawed thinking. All speakers/monitors should be faithful to the source material and reproduce it without changing it (frequency response, distortion etc) whether it's meant for Hi-Fi or professional use. If the mix is done badly, then it should sound bad too. Same thinking applies of course to good mixes. How can a speaker know which mix to make sound prettier and which to sound worse? :?

I must admit it always sounds strange to me that some people expect Hi-Fi and professional loudspeakers to be made according to different principles.

I have been on a journey to find equipment that delivers exactly what was recorded.
Genelec strives hard to give me an exact representation - no more, no less.
Thanks Genelec

Hi Pete,

I hope we can agree that when I’m saying hi-fi I’m targeting to the mainstream home hi-fi loudspeakers which doesn’t have the most accurate response and generally they tend to make mixes-songs more pleasant by boosting a bit low and hi frequencies, the classic smiley face curve :D

I’m not referring to Hi End loudspeakers like B&W Nautilus or other Hi End products with Hi End prices and FR accuracy.

Sorry to say but that is completely and utterly flawed thinking. All speakers/monitors should be faithful to the source material and reproduce it without changing it (frequency response, distortion etc) whether it's meant for Hi-Fi or professional use. If the mix is done badly, then it should sound bad too. Same thinking applies of course to good mixes. How can a speaker know which mix to make sound prettier and which to sound worse? :?

Hi Illka,

I have heard countless hi-fi speakers and most of them have the tendency to make things prettier. This is not a bad think if you ask me, normally you want pro-monitoring to expose easily mistakes in your mix and make your job easier, while hi-fi for more relaxing-pleasant home listening. If all were made for the same purpose then why buying pro monitors for your studio and not hi-fi and vice versa?

If there’s no difference between hi-fi and pro monitoring then why your founder in this old thread below #42 was clearly stating that Genelec was never a hi-fi company and serving only pro customers? I think everyone can understand that he was clearly separating h-fi from pro monitoring.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-en ... ost4180983
kimkorho, modified 7 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 8 Join Date: 4/8/13 Recent Posts
If there’s no difference between hi-fi and pro monitoring then why your founder in this old thread below #42 was clearly stating that Genelec was never a hi-fi company and serving only pro customers? I think everyone can understand that he was clearly separating h-fi from pro monitoring.

My thinking here would be that hi-fi is (among other things) a belief system similar to homeopathy etc.

Genelec, to me, seems to be based on the assumption that a speaker should convey the music from the artist to the listener as directly as possible, whoever or wherever the listener might be. In hi-fi world this ideal of transparent reproduction would be substituted with marketing fairytales and technically irrelevant (usually ridiculously priced) features.

Yes, many consider hi-fi separated from pro audio. Personally, I love the fact that Genelec is not interested in the deeply mystical hi-fi tradition but instead offering best possible reproduction of audio - to consumers and professionals alike.
hansi, modified 7 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 13 Join Date: 6/8/13 Recent Posts
An important aspect is directional characteristics.
HiFi speakers have all kinds of directional characteristics, whereas studio monitors, as far as i know, have very narrow directivity, which in addition is constant over a large frequency range (just have a look at the respective plots in the Genelec manuals). This avoids influences from the room, i.e. reflections from walls, to a large extend, whereas in HiFi, the room is often used to "shape" the sound by wanted reflections from the walls. Therefore a HiFi speaker may sound good in one room and bad in another one. Such differences should be less for studio speakers.
So HiFi and Studio speakers might have the same design target regarding frequency response, but they certainly differ with respect to directivity.
Markus

Hi Illka,

I have heard countless hi-fi speakers and most of them have the tendency to make things prettier. This is not a bad think if you ask me, normally you want pro-monitoring to expose easily mistakes in your mix and make your job easier, while hi-fi for more relaxing-pleasant home listening. If all were made for the same purpose then why buying pro monitors for your studio and not hi-fi and vice versa?

Obviously I wasn't talking about other companies while stating that. I am well aware of the countless low quality speakers out there but that doesn't mean that Genelec would need to follow the same route when producing speakers for home audio/hifi market. Before we launched the home audio product range (G and F series) in late 2012, our pro series speakers were used for years in various environments, from professional audio to home audio/hifi/home theater without any problems. Changes we made for the G series speakers relate to connectivity, appearance (finishing options) and other features, not audio quality or frequency response.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-en ... ost4180983

I think you are reading it wrong. He is stating that Genelec's roots are in serving professional customers in broadcasting, tv, music, post and similar markets. This is the core of the company. But it doesn't mean there wouldn't be other market segments we act in, for example home audio, AV install and music creation segments. Please find these segments and the products intended for each segment here: http://www.genelec.com/ It is also worth to notice that the post you are referring is dated back to 2009. A lot of progress has happened since, especially when it comes to home audio segment.