Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

8330, DAC OR USB/AES3?

nubiee, modified 7 Years ago.

8330, DAC OR USB/AES3?

Youngling Posts: 7 Join Date: 5/26/15 Recent Posts
Hi,

I just bought a pair of Genelec 8330 with APM pack, now I'm wondering if I should buy a dac or a USB/AES3 converter?

Have read a lot, but I do not become wiser, what do you think that I should invest in?
I have talked to a Swedish genelec seller who prefers a DAC, because of coloring the sound when you use a external usb/aes3?

In the current situation, I will only use the speakers with my computer,. (windows 8.1)
I have a possibility to run through a asus xonar essence stx, (my brother have this card and do not use it)
I have a Supra LORAD that i will use.

My thoughts so far

DAC:
Benchmark DAC2 DX or hgc?, electrocompaniet dac ecd 2, schiit Gungnir, Hegel hd12

USB/AES3:
Bryston Buc-1 usb, Yellowtec PUC2, Stello U3 or a Mutec MC-1.2 USB

What would you have preferred, and why?

Thx for replies..
1038, modified 7 Years ago.

Re: 8330, DAC OR USB/AES3?

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
We mainly use DAC's, the reason for this has more to do with running multiple sources though. If you are only going to have the computer as your source then something like the yellowtec or Bryston would be at the top of my list. Just make sure that you use serial digital cables with 110 ohm XLR's.

Congrats on your new 8330's

Okey, thanks for your reply.
So I will not notice any "bad" coloring in the sound with Bryston or Yellowtec?

The Genelec seller who recommended me to use a DAC with xlr and avoid to use a AES3 made me feel like i was very lost in this deep forrest.. :?
mfkmuzik, modified 7 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 6 Join Date: 5/15/15 Recent Posts
hi there,
check this link out if it is any help.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1838&start=10

Thanks, then i will go with usb->aes3->8330.

Are Bryston the best choice?
bourne, modified 7 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 74 Join Date: 2/26/14 Recent Posts
I can't comment on whether the Bryston BUC1 is the best choice, however, in my setup I run one together with my 1238a and a Mac mini and it works great.
udayan, modified 7 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 38 Join Date: 6/6/13 Recent Posts
Hello,

You mentioned the Asus Xonar which is an internal soundcard!!! So I guess your computer is not a laptop!

In that case, why not to buy an internal soundcard with AES/EBU outputs ?

Udayan

Thanks for your answers, I ordered a Bryston BUC-1 usb yesterday.
I should get all things next week, it is going to be fun to try if the speakers are as good as i think they are, in my own environment..

Thanks again guys!
docent, modified 5 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 9 Join Date: 5/22/12 Recent Posts
Hi,
I had similar problem, but after tests of balanced and unbalanced cabling and connections, I decide to use one of standard USB-SPDIF converters from Alessis, with my little invention (check attachment) and at the end SPDIF/AES EBU CONVERTER from Nuetrik. It was very economic version but result vas very good. If you are a bit DIY person you have whole spectrum of fun and endless improvements :). Seriously, if you have more money then, as an usb to spdif you can use M2Tech HiFace 2. and Neutrik converter http://www.neutrik.com/en/accessories/a ... nsformers/. Non expensive but very good. Next option.
I would recommend you, to invest a bit more, in M2Tech EVO http://www.m2tech.biz/it/evo_dac.html, which has AES EBU output.
Bryston is very good choice, but try to use optimized Genelec's, combination of electronics and loudspeakers.
You can also use any of professional audio cards like RME 9632, Lynx AES 16 or similar, with AESEBU output and result will be better then any of FMCG solutions.
Best regards
Docent

Attachments:

hmmm, I wish I had seen this post before I ordered a BUC 1.
M2Tech hiFace EVO was a lot cheaper than the buc1 as well.. Half the price.. :?

Do you think 8330 together with a BUC 1 will having matching problems?
bourne, modified 7 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 74 Join Date: 2/26/14 Recent Posts
Relax, the BUC-1 will work. It is an asynchronous interface and offers the AES output you need for your Genelecs.
docent, modified 7 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 9 Join Date: 5/22/12 Recent Posts
Hi,
BUC 1, has AES EBU output, so don't worry. It will work with 8330 AES EBU input without any problems. Bryston is very good quality solution but it is overpriced for me. If you have no return policy for BUC1, you can use it and check if system works good for you. I am sure it will :-). Try 7350 sub. This makes real difference. Dont forget, to use "digital XLR" AES EBU cables, it is different from microphone symetrical cables, but looks similar, they have also XLR connectors.
Regarding software, you can use many options. As I have Logitech Media Server for my audio files management, I use SqueezezPlay, which is kind of software emulation of old Squeezez Box and ASIO4all drivers for my usb AES EBU card.
Best regards
Docent

Thanks for all the answers and advices. I have bought the Supra XLR AES 3 digital Cables.

It would for sure be fun to try the 7350 sub, but it will be a project for the future.

Thanks again!
nubiee, modified 5 Years ago.

It works very well I must say, both 8330 speakers and bryston buc-1, I like the volume knob as well ;)
I use them mostly through foobar /wasapi on hi-res and fidelify/wasapi when I use my spotify account.

I use genelec:s table stand
paulfennell, modified 6 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 5 Join Date: 4/20/16 Recent Posts
Hi Everyone, I am considering the Yellowtec PUC2 Lite as the AES/EBU interface to my new 8330's. Is anyone using this unit? It's quite competitively priced:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/yellowtec_puc2_lite.htm

THANKS IN ADVANCE
manutal, modified 6 Years ago.

Jedi Knight Posts: 180 Join Date: 4/25/14 Recent Posts
I had the Yellowtec puc2 lite when I was running 2.1 and everything worked fine for me with it. Nothing to complain about. Worked like a dream. Hope everything works out for you.

I am grateful for your supportive reply. In my country (Australia) we would call you a "legend". THANKS AGAIN
manutal, modified 6 Years ago.

Jedi Knight Posts: 180 Join Date: 4/25/14 Recent Posts
I am grateful for your supportive reply. In my country (Australia) we would call you a "legend". THANKS AGAIN

No problems, mate^^ :) One thing to think about getting is the Genelecs 9101A volume controller so that you can easily change the volume, works with glm 2.0.

Thanks for that. I actually have the full monitoring suite including the microphone and controller. I'm hoping that my budget will increase enough to get the sub-woofer soon. PAUL